Free shipping - northern tool

My wife is campaigning for a new, bigger, generator. If we have another ice storm type event she wants to be able to keep the well running. This might save enough money to make it possible. I'm the holdout though. Our current, fairly small, generator was on standby for ten years before we needed it. I'm reluctant to spend money on something that will run only five min. every other month and not be used.

Thanks, I'll check it out. Gotta keep wifey happy.

Frank I thought the same way till hurricane Ike rolled thru here and we were without power for 6 days. I bout the generator right after hurricane Rita and it sat ever since. I stopped complaining about the $1100 it cost me when we were the only ones on our street with power and a/c.

I will probably be getting this one:
http://www.emergencypower.com/LT6500CLE.html
Includes free shipping.
We can hook up to the propane tank we use for our little gas fireplace/stove that is our emergency heat source.
I can probably sell our 3500 watt generator for $400.00 making the investment very affordable.
Only hesitation right now is that I don't know (remember, I'm elektrik iggerant) how big a hoss 6500 watts is and need to be sure it will run our well. I'm going to call an electrician today to try to get some help on that.

the generator I bought is 13500 starting watts and 8000 running watts. I have it set up to plug directly into our panel thru a range plug. I've run our central a/c, grinder pump for the septic, all lights in the house, microwave, tv's. Just verify if that rating is starting watts or running watts. By the way a 20 amp 120 volt circuit is 2400 watts of which your only supposed to use no more than 80%.

the generator I bought is 13500 starting watts and 8000 running watts. I have it set up to plug directly into our panel thru a range plug. I've run our central a/c, grinder pump for the septic, all lights in the house, microwave, tv's. Just verify if that rating is starting watts or running watts. By the way a 20 amp 120 volt circuit is 2400 watts of which your only supposed to use no more than 80%.

This is very dangerous and could put power back into the grid potentially electricuting anyone working down the lines. :eek:

I did call my electrician and he gave me a tip to save money and get a bigger hoss. His brother recently purchased a 10,000 (peak) watt unit at Sam's Club for about $880.00. Looks like a good deal, especially with free shipping.
BTW, when we moved in here, I had a safety transfer switch installed so I would not send power back up the line and fry the repair crew.
With our January ice storm and, virtually, thousands of new generators being sold, I'll betcha very few had such switches.
The electrician suggested I could run everything except our furnace with the 10K. That is not a problem with our back-up heat arrangement.

I believe I have settled on the generator I'm going to buy.
It is a 10K from Sam's Club, of all places.
My electrician says I can run everything on it, including my well, except our furnace. And, that is no problem with our back up heat system.
I would have preferred a propane unit but the price difference pushed me this way.
Free delivery is nice also. Only problem with that, I can't get an answer from Sam's whether this is tailgate or on ground delivery. I'm guessing it is about 300 pounds.
http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=413460

...The electrician suggested I could run everything except our furnace with the 10K. That is not a problem with our back-up heat arrangement.

Frank,
You say "furnace," but do you really mean "heat pump?" Most gas or oil fired furnaces only use a very small amount of electricity - just to run the control valves and the thermostat (and the oil pump on an oil burner) - but heat pumps are more akin to an air conditioner in their power requirements.

What kind of back-up heat do you have? Just curious...