Homemade coring rig video

Thanks for the link, Jeff. That's an awesome setup.

Whenever I see a woodworker with a bandage on his hand like he has on his thumb it makes me wonder if/when my turn is going to come. :dunno: :eek: :(
Just makes me remember to be a bit more careful. :thumb:

Whenever I see a woodworker with a bandage on his hand like he has on his thumb it makes me wonder if/when my turn is going to come. :dunno: :eek: :(
Just makes me remember to be a bit more careful. :thumb:

I thought the same thing Gord. :eek:

Cool! Is that similar to how other coring systems work? I've never seen one in action before.

Barry, I haven't seen one in action either, but I think it's basically the same. I'm not sure others hold the cored part in place once it is free...I've seen vids of cores flying out across the room.

I posted that on Wood turners resource. It looks fairly simple to make. Some steel strapping rolled in some slip rolls or formed around some pipe. I plan on tackling that project after I finish my carbide scrapers, steel snake, and new lathe bench. So it will be a while, but it shouldn't be too hard if you have any sort of fabrication knowledge. Stu could whip it up in an afternoon.

I saw it on WR too, but it's a cool setup. Looks like a fun project for someone with the tools to make one.

Cool! Is that similar to how other coring systems work? I've never seen one in action before.

The Oneway coring system (and one other whose name escapes me) use a similar method with the fixed pivot point and uniform "cereal bowl" knife radius. The McNaughton system is a bit different...the pivot point is variable (very variable) and the knives have a much broader range of curves available. The people I know who have used both types have said the Oneway is easier to use, but the McNaughton rig is more flexible in terms of the forms you can create.

Thanks for the post on this forum.. What a sore thumb that guy has :)..

I guess I would have seen it on the WR forum when I was active there. Now I am banned and can not participate. Would like to know what rule I broke. :huh:

I was thinking that if I were to make a similar system that I would just use the replacable tip from the oneway system for $30, and that would make one less thing to worry about.

Justin, thanks for the praise, but I don't think I'd be building that in an afternoon, even if I borrowed your fine design :D

Sure looks like it works good too! :thumb:

Justin, thanks for the praise, but I don't think I'd be building that in an afternoon, even if I borrowed your fine design :D

Sure looks like it works good too! :thumb:

Fine design..I don't know about that Stu! :D

But really it shouldn't be difficult. The main thing would be determining what size core you wanted to take to make the radius bends, and making sure it was lined up with the center of your spindle. Other than that I don't think it would be difficult at all really.

I'll admit the versatility of the Kelton system has advantages, but then again if you wanted to do production turning a system like this would be hard pressed to be beat. You would have so many identical salad bowls you wouldn't even know what to do with yourself.

It appears that once he takes his initial core he moves to a smaller size radius and uses bushings on the same post to bring it back up to center height again. His handle is nothing more than a steel rod with two flats welded on it and a knob that pinches it tight.

So for example if your lathe would swing 12", you could have one with an 10" radius, one with a 8" radius, and maybe a 6" radius all in the horizontal plane. Not sure what sort of radius you would have in the vertical plane, his looks like it is the same as the horizontal.