A couple of articles

Derek Cohen

Brace-complete2-1.jpg

This may interest the handtool maker and/or box maker.

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeTools/EntryforAustralianWoodReview2009.html

But wait .. there's more! Two for the price of one ..

Brace_in_box_-_hinges_finished1_lg.jpg

I recently posted this pictorial on making wooden hinges ..

http://finewoodworking.taunton.com/item/15165/making-a-wooden-hinge-for-a-box

Some power tools here, but the spirit of handtools shines through! :)

Regards from Perth

Derek

An absolutely compelling walk-through of your construction process.
And, forgive the understatement, an outstanding end result.
Excellent pictures and tutorial.
Only disappointment. :rolleyes: At first, I thought you were going to show us some tricky wood turning technique for the brace. But, the rasps and scrapers demonstrate some masterful handwork.
Terrific and congratulations. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Incredible Derek:thumb: Great pics on the making of the hinges (I made a pdf of that for my records:D) Super box and the brace is just awesome also :thumb: How do you like working with Jarrah, hard stuff! My son and I are making my countertops with jarrah man I love the looks of it. What did you use to finish it with? Again incredible stuff Derek:thumb:

Tom

Hi Frank

The brace is meant to have a look of being turned. Of course it could not be (unless you have a real kinky lathe!).

Hi Tom

For finishing Jarrah, I prefer to use shellac and wax. This really goes with most dark woods since oil tends to darken and obscure the grain.

I use Jarrah a lot - mostly salvaged roofing beams and flooring. After all, Western Australia is the home of Jarrah. It is a difficult wood to work - very hard (think 50% harder than Rock Maple) and often with considerable interlinked grain, which means you must use handplanes with very high cutting angles (nothing under 60 degrees). It is also abrasive wood as it contains high levels of silica. A2 is a better steel for it than O1.

Regards from Perth

Derek

excellent!!!

thanks derek for sharun the tutorial,, and the brace its one fine piece of hand work.. now a question,, whats your prefernce for the riflers files.. might have the wrong name. but the littel rasps you show.. have been lookingh at them and just havnt got them yet but ihave seen many times that i wished i had them:rolleyes:

.. whats your prefernce for the riflers files.. might have the wrong name. but the littel rasps you show.. have been lookingh at them and just havnt got them yet but ihave seen many times that i wished i had them:rolleyes:

Hi Larry

I have experience with only two makes of rifflers - a cheap Chinese set that I bought several years ago. Too coarse. Only good for roughing out. And the ones I now use, which are at the other end of the scale - Auriou. These come with ratings of fineness. I have a coarse and fine in a few shapes. All my rasps are by Auriou as well.

And thanks Toni.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Incredible Derek:thumb: Great pics on the making of the hinges (I made a pdf of that for my records:D) Super box and the brace is just awesome also :thumb: How do you like working with Jarrah, hard stuff! My son and I are making my countertops with jarrah man I love the looks of it. What did you use to finish it with? Again incredible stuff Derek:thumb:

Tom

Tom, how do you make a pdf?:huh:
Sorry for the hijack Derek :eek: great tutorials by the way, thanks. :thumb:

Excellent work. Makes you want to reach out and touch.

Tom, how do you make a pdf?:huh:
Sorry for the hijack Derek :eek: great tutorials by the way, thanks. :thumb:

Same deal on a PC. I use PDF Creator on XP. When you print it you select it instead of a printer. It is a freeware/shareware product. If I remember right it was a little tricky to install, but works everytime I need it.

Cheers,

Thanks for the tutorial Derek that is Great. I really like the color and grain of that wood. Maybe I missed it but where did you get the hardware for the brace from? How do you stop that drawer with the bits in from sliding out?

In this article about wooden hinges, what does it mean when Derek says he drilled a bunch of holes to act as "keys"?

Hi Cynthia

Drill holes into the hinge and the area of the box where the hinge goes.

MakingAWoodenHinge_html_4ca09af9.gif

To "Key" is to create a deeper join into rather than just onto.

Drew wrote:
How do you stop that drawer with the bits in from sliding out?

Hi Drew

The drawer is deep so it slides out far. Plus it is a piston fit, which means it is held in by the suction force of a tight fit.

Regards from Perth

Derek