saw a couple used tools today

A #7 plane, no makers mark was obvious to me, it had a thin blade, looked reasonably flat and in decent condition regarding corrosion (has a patina but not much if any rust).

Also, a Stanley #80 scraper. Looks like a spokeshave (as opposed to looking like a plane). Also at first glance to this inexperienced person it looked in reasonable shape.

What would folks consider prices to purchase these for? I'd probably want to upgrade to a Hock iron for the plane. The scraper blade is even thinner - is there a Hock replacement or equivalent available for this as well? Or are scrapers supposed to be thin bladed?

Thanks!

Mark,
Check Ebay for the latest 'completed sale' prices, but if you can get the #7 for around $25~35, you ought to be okay.

The #80 is a very useful scraper. I actually have four of them, and use them a lot. They're generally cheap and plentiful, so somewhere around $10~15 would be a good place to start. The original blades in the 80 are quite serviceable, but do have a tendency to chatter if set too aggressively. I have Hock blades in three of mine, and they're definitely an improvement.

BTW, Lee Valley has a really tempting #80 "clone" that I've been eyeing...

Depends on the mfg

A #7 plane, no makers mark was obvious to me, it had a thin blade, looked reasonably flat and in decent condition regarding corrosion (has a patina but not much if any rust).

Take a look at the yoke and if it is cast and not of formed metal construction, that's a good sign. The bent metal ones tend to have a lot of slop in them. Also look at the lever arm. That'll tell you who mfg'ed this plane. Unless I miss my guess, Walt Q's site will have a pictorial on the different type oflever arms and who made them.

If the casting looks nice and solid, the mouth is free of chips, and the sole looks flat that's a REAL good sign. Check the frog and see if it's in nice shape and you're good to go. Also see if the adjustment knob allows the iron to protrude and retract all the way. If it doesn't then the chip breaker may be the wrong one for that plane.

Depending on the condition, I've seen No7s go anywhere from $45 to $55 for a good user (an old MF, Sargent, or Union) to about $75 or $85 for a nice old Stanley Type 11 No 7 (one of my favorites).

Actually I paid about $40 for my old Union No 7 and that needed a complete make over! Even though some would call it a "Frankenplane" it's still one of my favorite users.

Also, a Stanley #80 scraper. Looks like a spokeshave (as opposed to looking like a plane). Also at first glance to this inexperienced person it looked in reasonable shape.

These bad boys are seriously handy to have. An older one with a SW stamp commands a higher price, while a "newer" vintage less. I've seen them go for $15 all the way to $35. Personally I wouldn't pay more than $20 for a used No80 (non SH vintage). I think I paid $16 for the one I got (and later sold).

...I'd probably want to upgrade to a Hock iron for the plane. The scraper blade is even thinner - is there a Hock replacement or equivalent available for this as well? Or are scrapers supposed to be thin bladed?

A Hock iron for the No 7 is nice, but not necessary. It won't make a crappy plane handle like a LN. Properly sharpened and honed it'll make a good user plane even better. Personally I like the LV blades just as much.

I would not upgrade to a Hock scraper blade until you try out the one that came with it. Properly tuned "thin" (standard) blades work just as good as those thicker ones. With an old chunk of saw blade installed in mine (properly sharpened of course), I can pull wispy shavings.