Entertainment Unit

I haven't posted anything for a while...however I have been lurking in the shadows watching what people are up to.

After finally being able to re-organize the workshop more to my liking I put together a much needed piece of furniture for the lounge.

The photos unfortunately are no as good as I would like. Both my wifes and my cameras dont seem to like lower level lighting. I had always thought Fuji made a good camera, but alas after owning these two I wont ever have another ( back to Canon methinks).

Anywho I hauled some of my roughsawn 4 x 2 (100 x 50) into the shed and set too. This is the result. I didnt work from a plan, I just measured my equipment and designed it on the fly.

The timber is native NZ Rimu (medium to hard wood). It has 2 coats of Wattyle Kauri Stain applied and two coats of Bees Wax polish to finish.
The design and finish is semi rustic. I didnt sand the top completely flat as I wanted a used and aged look to this piece as it would suit the wood which is recycled from a factory.

The end panels are made from the same timber and are made up of 1/2 x 3" shiplapped pieces, somewhat like old chests and mairtime cases. The front ends of these pieces are exposed to show the shiplapping as a detail.

The only none native timber is the ply backing and the 4 ply pine interior sidepanels, which were stained.

Needless to say SWMBO loves it, as I do too because it took a mess and made a nice centre piece for the lounge. We are movie fans so this setup gets a lot of use. Next is the cabinet that will house the dvd collectiion which now stands at about 450 or so :)

Attachments

• DSCF0001.JPG
    DSCF0001.JPG
    113.3 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCF0002.JPG
    DSCF0002.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCF0003.JPG
    DSCF0003.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCF0004.JPG
    DSCF0004.JPG