SMC and the FWF

Julio Navarro

I see alot of people here from SMC.

I would feel like I was repeating myself since I see so many from there, most infact.

Do you guys post on both forums?

julio, ever since i was asked to dance by keith i`ve not contributed to smc..here`s the post;
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=444575&postcount=18
those of us who started family woodworking where by and large made to feel unwelcome over at sawmill creek....we thought that the idea of a friendly, family based woodworking sight was a good one that was worth keeping alive even though several of us where invited to leave, so we founded family woodworking with our main goal to be honest and open about the how`s-n-whys of sight opperation.....please spend some time reading the "members only" section, there`s lots of our initial discussion of what the whole lot of us felt is important to having a sight where anybody-n-everybody feels welcome.
i for one am glad that you go to the trouble of "double posting" `cause otherwise i`d not get to know what you`ve been up to, let alone comment....tod

Julio, I wasn't asked to leave like some of the others....in fact I did contribute to the last fund drive, so I think I still can post over there if I chose to....But I don't any longer.

I have my reasons not to any longer. I will say this, I will not bash the fine members or mods over there....good people and knowledgeable. I'll just say it this way....Let's suppose you use to go to a bar to meet your friends and have a few drinks, but a few of your friends were being bounced out of the place for reasons you didn't think were justified. You felt the bouncer was being heavy handed and not being fair in his actions. If you were to bring it up you yourself might be the next one bounced. Even the owner of said bar made the statements it is easier to bounce you out than to tell you why.

So I chose to go to another bar, where I'm able to still talk to my friends, get a few drinks (information as it may be the case) my friends aren't getting bounced....there are still a few friends while I'm sitting here at my stool in this bar, that I wish would come through the door.....

Just my view from here.

Last edited:
I peruse SMC, but really don't post much there. I didn't get into the "issue" that some here experienced, but SMC isn't as friendly as it used to be to me. Maybe it has gotten too big?

I participated over there quite a bit for a while but got away from it a couple of times and came back. But I missed the big blow up that caused a lot of the problems. I does appear to have become much less friendly over there so I just quit posting. This is a MUCH nicer environment! ;)

Take care,

John

I still go to both, but I really like the atmosphere here. Everyone is nice and debates are well presented. I have not seen any posts where offence was taken or personal attacks of anyones opinions. There are a couple people on SMC that I look for because I really enjoy their posts, but I have really enjoyed the feedback and comradry found here! The guys that set this up have taken great pains to accentuate the positives and leave out the negatives. Hopefully it will continue!

I'm another who no longer can post there. I would like to, but cannot.

I do post on a few other forums, mainly WoodNet and the UK Workshop, a little on Knots, WoodCentral and the Australian forum.

Take care, Mike

I can post there, but haven't since I was told Tod's view didn't matter, I haven't posted over there since, I only use it for research if I want to buy something. In fact, Nancy Laird showed to me what was a display of non-respect for Tod's view/opinion. I see she came here recently...

FWF is doing well though.

I was also run off a blacksmithing forum recently, they didn't seem to share the same respect for members freedoms and rights either, similar how SMC did for me. The blacksmithing forum expected me to do as they felt I should, and I just don't spend my own personal time like that. :huh:

I also haven't posted on owwm.com in quite a while, due to similar differences for the most part.

Last edited:
alan, something i sincerely hope will set family woodworking apart from other forums is that everybody here carries equal weight.....come april 1st i`d just as soon see you as a moderator and me as some ol` hick chiming in with his opinions....right now before any changes are made to the forum the whole lot of us has to agree......it may be kind of a pain voting on stuff but at least everybody gets to express their viewpoint and if enough folks agree with something then stuff changes...unless we`ve totally missed something this sounds like he recipe for a healthy, able to evolove forum.....tod

Well, what you do at SMC is your choice. But just remember that are people here that don't (or some of us can't) go there. So please do post here.

I read 3 forums regularly and I often cross post between here and Woodnet. Some people may see my post twice, but many don't hang out on both. As we grow we will have more and more that are not on SMC, Woodnet, OWWM or many other forums. So cross post away!

I visit SMC and occasionally post. Mostley look at the classifieds and the turning forum. At this site, which has become my favorite, I read all the forums. Here I just hit the New Posts button. I also go to Woodnet but typically only read the classifieds and hand tool forums. Seems each site has its specialty and I gravitate toward those. This site doesn't have a specialty, its all good.

I'm sort of a "centrist" of this issue.

I still read SMC, and also post there occasionally. AFAIK I'm the only "laserhead" here, so that particular subforum is still an important resource for me. And there are some people there that I still consider friends that are unlikely to show up here for various reasons.

OTOH I was asked personally by one of their mods if I was planning to contribute for 2007. My answer was: no way am I giving money to an organization that I can get kicked out of on the whim of a single person.

I still visit SMC from time to time, but less frequently as time goes by. I tend to head for the hand tool forum no matter which site I visit. Theirs has slowed down and FW's hasn't really taken off yet. I'm very interested in seeing the hand tool forum(s) here succeed. (We knuckle draggers are in the minority on all the sites I know of.) If I have anything to contribute on hand tool matters, I'll be posting here and only here.

I no longer am allowed to play in that sandbox. Don't know why and have not lost sleep over it. By the way, Tod's opinion does not count............any more than yours or mine. Thats the beauty of this new site.