Super Nova 2 and Cole Jaws

:huh: Whats the maximum diameter this pair opens too. I have a Jet 1220 and was wondering if when fully extended would the Cole jaws clear the bed ? I have the chuck but would like the jaws also. I like to turn bowls with an outside diameter of 9 1/2"-10", maybe that's pushing the 1220, but its a great machine. :dunno:

Last edited:
SN@ & Cole jaws

:rolleyes:What I'm looking for is if anyone has the SN2 and the large Cole jaws, what is the measurements of the jaws when fully opened- end to end? Will it hit the bed or will it clear the 12" swing?:dunno:

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!

The safest position for ANY chuck, is to be as close to closed as possible. As you open them, they become less effective at holding the piece. This is due to the fact there is more flex, especially with cole jaws. When you add a loosely(Expanded to the extreme) set of jaws to a flexible sidewall, it makes for an accident waiting to happen.

There are two home made chucks that are very safe on larger pieces. I don't know the names, but one consists of a flat piece and a ring that screws to the flat piece and the bottom sticks out of the hole for cleaning up. The other one uses two pieces of plywood, MDF, etc, with opposing spirals to hold the work.

Hope this helps.

Bruce

SN@ and Cole Jaws

:rolleyes: Thanks Bruse, but I intend to use the CJ's just for finishing the bottoms. I would be using the tail stock to keep the bowl inplace when I'm close to removing the tennon. I think that would be safe.:wave:

...There are two home made chucks that are very safe on larger pieces. I don't know the names, but one consists of a flat piece and a ring that screws to the flat piece and the bottom sticks out of the hole for cleaning up. The other one uses two pieces of plywood, MDF, etc, with opposing spirals to hold the work...
That'd be a donut chuck and a Longworth chuck, respectively. I agree the donut chuck is very safe, but I've had pieces come loose from a Longworth chuck in the past. They work, but I think a person should proceed with a bit of extra caution when using one.

That'd be a donut chuck and a Longworth chuck, respectively. I agree the donut chuck is very safe, but I've had pieces come loose from a Longworth chuck in the past. They work, but I think a person should proceed with a bit of extra caution when using one.

It's exciting when those big pieces catch and come off the longworth's isn't it... I had one that not only ruined the bowl, it ruined the chuck as well.