Yellow Heart Pine Goblet and Platter

Doug Miller

I posted a Ponderosa Pine bowl I turned just recently and someone mentioned trying some heart pine. This goblet and bowl were turned from some recycled old growth, yellow heart pine. It came to me in the form of a support post that was removed from a church in Louisville, KY when they were remodeling their fellowship hall. I turned a similar set for the pastor and then took what was left and turned myself this set. My goblet has a Mt. Mahogany stem. Both are finished with MANY coats of high gloss DO and buffed with the Beall system.

As always, questions and comments are welcome.

Attachments

• Hiland bowl.jpg
    Hiland bowl.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 74
  • Highland goblet.jpg
    Highland goblet.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 80
  • Highland bowl and goblet.jpg
    Highland bowl and goblet.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 61
Very nice indeed, and a nice "History" too.

It may just be the picture, but I think the goblet's foot could be a bit larger, but that might be also a "Taste" thing.

Very nice work for sure!:thumb:

Stu, you might very well be right. It does not look quite as small in person, but it might be 3/8-1/2" in diameter too small. At that point I was just really glad to get it turned and attatched. Was a little frustrating at that point for some reason.

BTW, well done on the reduction program.

Hi Doug
Really nice job on the Goblet & Platter :thumb:. We don't live too far apart, I'll holler at you next time I'm down that way. I go to Rough ever so often. I live in Louisville.
Larry

I have never seen that type of pine but sure looks good.

It is going to be reclaimed stuff. Just from the rings that we could see in this beam the tree was harvested at something like 175 years old. Most likely a lot older than that since we didn't have the whole tree. A lot of what is available today is reclaimed from underwater. Once in a while the log would sink as they floated them down to the mill. Neat stuff to come across. Still smells like pine even after all those years being stored underwater.

Very nice indeed, and a nice "History" too.

It may just be the picture, but I think the goblet's foot could be a bit larger, but that might be also a "Taste" thing.

Very nice work for sure!:thumb:

The foot should be 2/3rds the dia of the bowl in a goblet. Anything else always sems to look out of proportion. Don't know idf this one is or not, perspecttive on goblets is pig to photograph IME.

Pine is a much maligned wood in my opinion and can produce some lovely pieces if turned well as here.

Pete

I don't know, Pete. The foot on this goblet is 2/3's and looks a bit small. I'm thinking more the same size as the bowl. Some of the other goblets I've turned with the foot the same as the bowl look much more in proportion. Then again, it's in the eye of the person looking at it isn't it? Since this one is in my permanent collection, it really doesn't matter that much?