Latest Project (Dog A-Frame)

Dan Thibert

I worked on this for the past couple of days and thought I would post my results.
It may not be as fancy as other things I have see here, but I bet it is the first doggie a-frame :rofl:
That is my black lab Miss T up against the house not sure what to do with her new toy yet.

Attachments

• A-Frame.JPG
    A-Frame.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 73
  • Miss T.JPG
    Miss T.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 67
I'm guessing that once Miss T figures out it's for play, and there are treat rewards involved, you won't be able to get her off of it. ;)

dan, Im not a dog owner.
and you have a beautiful dog, no doubt, I love black labs and golden ret.

but I think that dog is thinking to herself,"hey, who signed me up for the gym?Cancel my membership!"

We put treats on each rung of the a-frame and it took no time at all for Miss-T to get the idea :thumb:

This project is what got my wife started talking about my wood working career when I said I could build that :rofl: I finally had to put my actions where my mouth was :D. We saw one of these when we went of vacation last October and Miss-T was the only dog to be able to do it.

Wife and puppy and very happy:b-day_cake: and it was completed for my wifes birthday yesterday.

My white dog - Niki - actually went through a LOT of ovedience training. I thought about agility but "ME" - I just don't have the ambition for it.

Anyway - Niki absolutely LOVE it when I make her sit and stay - or jump - or stay - then come.

She just is the happiest dog you ever saw when she does something at my command.

If it were me? I would train Niki to sit-stay at one side - while I walk over slowly, maybe with Chewey(my pomerainian) then call her to com-sit in front of me. ---- Ohhhh I KNOW, she would love that.

One suggestion is to paint the bottom 24" yellow. This is called a contact point, and the dog should touch that section on the way down. It is for safety so they don't bail off too high and injure themselves. In Agility competition, if the dog misses a contact point, it is the same as missing that obstacle all together and is a fault. The lower ranks are allowed say 4 faults and still can make the run if under course time with the faults added in. The higher the level of competition you go, the fewer faults you are allowed, to the point of any faults disqualifies the run. When you are trying to hit 35 or more obstacles (jumps, tunnels, A frame, dog walk) in 43 or so seconds, you can't afford the faults. Jim.

Jim I thought about the second color, but since we are not really doing the agility course for points and she seems to have the idea of getting off and on at the bottom of the ramp I do not think it will be an issue.