Wedding goblet

I've been asked to make a pair of ghoblets for a celtic wedding. I've done obne and am waiting to see if it's OK before doing the really difficult part, duplicating it.

It's cherry, 7" tall with a 3" dia. 2 1'2" deep bowl. Inside is finished with copious layers of melamine finish as they want to toast with mead during the ceremony.

Just finished another one from the prickly pear.

his one is 6 1/2" tall, bowl is 3 1/2" dia x 2 1/4" deep. Same finish as other one. Now they have a choice.

Last edited:
I've been asked to make a pair of ghoblets for a celtic wedding. I've done obne and am waiting to see if it's OK before doing the really difficult part, duplicating it.

It's cherry, 7" tall with a 3" dia. 2 1'2" deep bowl. Inside is finished with copious layers of melamine finish as they want to toast with mead during the ceremony.

Pete,
Great goblets... :thumb::thumb::thumb:
I do a few and find them to be great fun to do... know what you mean about duplicating... someday I hope to get two that are near the same shape..

I notice the cherry has a nice flat bottom... do you use a forstner or are you good enough that you can do that with a chisel????:thumb::thumb:
I'm not so always admire those who are.

Also, may be a dumb question, but only way to learn... what is your definition of MELAMINE?? Is that a commercially available finish, or something you made up yourself. I currently use a plexi-glas solution on the inside of my goblets, but always looking for something better.

BTW, really like the double captured rings.. haven't tried them yet... may have to soon.

Pete,
Great goblets... :thumb::thumb::thumb:
I do a few and find them to be great fun to do... know what you mean about duplicating... someday I hope to get two that are near the same shape..

I notice the cherry has a nice flat bottom... do you use a forstner or are you good enough that you can do that with a chisel????:thumb::thumb:
I'm not so always admire those who are.

I do it with a spindle gouge. Sometimes I use a skew to get it really flat but depends on the wood

Also, may be a dumb question, but only way to learn... what is your definition of MELAMINE?? Is that a commercially available finish, or something you made up yourself. I currently use a plexi-glas solution on the inside of my goblets, but always looking for something better.

It's quite common over here, you can get it in the states though, some here Pen turners use it a lot as it gives a hard resilient finish. Idal for liquid proofing goblets. You put it on with the lathe statioary or it goes all gloopy on you and leaves rings. When dry cut back with wire wool or 1200 w&d and then add another layer until happy with it.
BTW, really like the double captured rings.. haven't tried them yet... may have to soon.
Thanks, I was going to do them interlocking but the grain on the cherry is too tough and too brittle on the cactus:(

Pet