Craftsman lathe....any good?

Tom Baugues

I know that craftsman lathes are not the best but......are they any good at all? One for sale in my area for $75.00 includes two tool rests and tools.

Last edited:
Tom, it depends on the model. Any pics or model numbers? r do you know the capacity? My first full-size lathe was a Craftsman with a 15" swing. I bought it used, and I turned quite a few decent pieces on it before I moved up to the Powermatic.

If the one you're seeing is the 15" model, then the $75 price is a steal.

OK, that sounds like one of their older models. Hard to say how decent it is. Some of the older ones were well-made (I think they were made by Atlas back in the day). If you've got $75 to play with, I'd say get it and try it. If you don't like it, I'm pretty sure you could sell it for what you pay for it.

Of course, the lathe is the least expensive part of turning. It's all the other bits and pieces that will turn your wallet into Swiss cheese. :p

I found this over at OWWM......... >> PDF <<

From what I can see, this is a fixture that attaches to a round bed lathe that is used for making a bunch of identical items, like spindles.

I honestly think you money could be better spent elsewhere, unless you have the need to make a bunch of identical spindles :dunno:

Ask him for a part number, something like "113.249070" (the copy crafter Part number). This will give you a bunch more info.

Cheers!

Well...I went ahead and bought this lathe tonight. The deal was that it was the 12" lathe AND the copy duplicator. It was already mounted on a 6' long workbench as well. It also came with a set of tools and faceplate, and smaller tool rest. I thought it would be a good deal for me until I outgrow it. It also gives me plenty of time to look for something bigger (nicer). I should be able to now attempt some smaller bowls and such. It has some surface rust but I think it will clean up nicely.

Tom

Attachments

• Resize Wizard-15.jpg
    Resize Wizard-15.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 96
  • Resize Wizard-16.jpg
    Resize Wizard-16.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 77
  • Resize Wizard-17.jpg
    Resize Wizard-17.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 87
I think that you did "Okay" -- the next step in this process is to have "FUN"

Many photos -- please!!!

With that copy attachment on it, it's sort of like a tube bed lathe with outriggers. It might help stabilize things a bit having the extra pieces in place. While it's not anything you'll be swinging big chunks of tree on, you'll get some experience out of it, and probably more fun than $75 worth of movie passes would generate. :) (And chance are, with some practice you can sell enough pens and bottle stoppers to cover the cost of the lathe plus some of the additional stuff you'll be buying soon.)

Next step: Do you have a good way to sharpen your new chisels? Having truly sharp tools will make a big difference in the enjoyment factor. ;)

And don't forget to pick up a face shield if you don't already have one. :doh:

Tom, the tools are worth the $75 alone, so while I thought the lathe for $75 was not a great deal, the package you got, certainly was fine, besides, if the turning bug does hit you hard, and you move on to another lathe, this one could be kept for doing spindles, if the duplicator works well that is.

Cheers!

Oh..NO.....I forgot to mention in my last post....I talked the guy down to $40.00. That's why I went ahead with it. Yeah...I'll never use the duplicator, but I too thought about it helping to steady everything. We'll see. It may be several weeks before I get it all moved into place. I've got to start cleaning up my garage...make some room. LOL

Tom

Oh..NO.....I forgot to mention in my last post....I talked the guy down to $40.00....

Were you wearing a mask when you held up that poor man? :rofl: I'm guessing "Bauges" is French for something like "Burglar" or something. :p Yeah, you got a great deal at that price. :thumb:

Hey Larry! Looks like you lost another one to The Vortex. :D

Well...I kind of knew that this was the ONE lathe that I wanted to stay away from and had passed on buying several others for sale in my area. This guy really needed to sell as he was moving and simply didn't want to have to mess with it any longer. He was eager to sell. I will keep looking for a good lathe but for now I thought it would get me started on bigger pieces of wood.

Tom

Tom, I had a version of that lathe, sent to me by a buddy in the US, it was OK, upgraded with a real live center for the tail stock (mine came with an actual DEAD center that you had to put oil on!) and a linked belt to smooth things out, and it was certainly OK to get going on. The thing that I disliked about mine the most was the lock down lever for the banjo, the tool rest lock down was only OK.

Still, I did a LOT of turning on that old C-man lathe.

Cheers!

Were you wearing a mask when you held up that poor man? :rofl: I'm guessing "Bauges" is French for something like "Burglar" or something. :p Yeah, you got a great deal at that price. :thumb:

Hey Larry! Looks like you lost another one to The Vortex. :D

yup. but hey.. maybe i can get rich given away blanks..see they dont know it yet but those blacks are treated with flat work germs:) so in a while those that get them will feel the compellin urge to do flat work agin :)