pepper mills

larry merlau

ok first question,
which mechanism is the best, ceramic or steel and what ever, in your opinion and why?

and show me your best one:) also a salt version:)

and finally i have asked a couple of folks this, but it is relative to this thread and that is the blank size needed to make one..

ok first question,
which mechanism is the best, ceramic or steel and what ever, in your opinion and why?

and show me your best one:) also a salt version:)

and finally i have asked a couple of folks this, but it is relative to this thread and that is the blank size needed to make one..

Hey Larry,
You know for a guy who doesn't run a lathe, you seem awfully curious about all the process... I think you are really a closet turner... :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

To answer questions, I like the ceramic/crush grind mechanisms.. they allow for more creativity in the design, you are less restricted in measurements (I tend to be one of those guys who gets the procedure backwards... measure once and cut twice - then it's still too short ?? :huh: :dunno:)
As for blank size... between 3 or 3.5 and 4 inches square x about 12 inches long...
Haven't done much in the way of a salt version, but here is one of mine that won an honorable mention at a local judged art show... this one is almost a foot tall... I used a separate piece of wood for the top. The body is a glue up.

Attachments

• 34-391.JPG
    34-391.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4581.JPG
    IMG_4581.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 36
wit kwestins liek dat, i tink larry is a sekrit spinny guy... :rofl::rofl:

jist answer the gestions and kwit pokun at me:) i aint dizzy and i dun got a good motive and who knows yu might profit from your replys:)

and thanks chuck for your response you read the directions well on this:) dan needs glasses:)

Last edited:
Larry,

I like the ceramic ones for 3 reasons. 1. They can be used for salt with no worries of corrosion, 2. They do not have the nut at the top, giving you freedom in the designs of the top, and 3. The shafts are trimmable allowing for easy variations in mill height.

The blank size I have used so far is 3.5" square and 12" long for 8.5" tall mill. Which left enough extra for my "resting station" on my recent purpleheart mill , which I feel is my best so far.

I have not made a specific salt mill yet, but any of the ones I have done can be either or. I have been commissioned to make a matching salt/pepper mill set like the purpleheart one. I plan to align the lamination of the cap so that the dark wood is on top of the pepper and the light wood is on top for the salt mill for easy ID.

Larry,

I haven’t turned one (yet) but use mills for both salt and pepper. I have steel on the pepper but ceramic for the salt. Ceramic doesn’t corrode from the salt like steel does.

I like the ceramic crush grind mechanisms for both salt and pepper. Here are few I did. The shell casing is mahogany with spalted maple bullet; the kinda light house looking one is spalted maple with bloodwood accent, and the last one is walnut.

Attachments

• Pepper-2-s.jpg
    Pepper-2-s.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 18
  • Pepper-3-s.jpg
    Pepper-3-s.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Pepper-5.jpg
    Pepper-5.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 18
I dunno if it was just the one I made or not, but the one salt mill I made with a ceramic mechanism seemed to also grind a minuscule amount of ceramic into the salt. Maybe it was because it was new and not broken in, but before it was ever used, I could twist the top a few times and get a fine white dust coming out of the bottom.

I'm a person who believes a little wood ash and dirt in your food from a campfire builds character and immunity, so a dusting of ceramic in my diet doesn't bother me a bit. Just wondering if others have noticed the same white dust coming out of a new ceramic mechanism.

I'm a person who believes a little wood ash and dirt in your food from a campfire builds character and immunity, so a dusting of ceramic in my diet doesn't bother me a bit. Just wondering if others have noticed the same white dust coming out of a new ceramic mechanism.

now that surprizes me,, vaughn i had yu pegged for alittle mor ecivilized,, yu jist might one of us after all:):thumb: