The Last Service To His Father

Warren White

A friend of mine and I made this box for his father's remains. It is made of quilted maple, with inlaid strips. The top was carved on a CNC router by my wife's nephew. It is a dished design featuring an eagle and the flag. Rod's father was a US Navy Veteran.

It was a pleasure to honor his last wishes in this manner.

Attachments

• DSCF0516.JPG
    DSCF0516.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 91
  • DSCF0504.JPG
    DSCF0504.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 89
Beautiful job, Warren. :clap: Projects like this have a lot of gravity involved. Folks seem to really step up to the plate when asked to make a special piece like this.

Warren, great piece. I can't imagine the thoughts going through your head as you built this. I know I daydream when building something of how it will be used and what it may end up being/doing. Question, do you line this box on the inside or make it so a plastic tupperware box fits in so there isn't a moisture concern?

Question, do you line this box on the inside or make it so a plastic tupperware box fits in so there isn't a moisture concern?

Jonathan, the remains come in a container that is sealed; that box just fits inside the one we built. This box is screwed shut, but can be opened if needed.

To all: Thank you for the kind comments. It was an honor to be asked to help my friend.

Last edited: