Armoire Finish - Restore Question

Dan Mosley

I got this antique armoire from some people that were moving. It was falling apart from every joint but all the pc's were there so i brought it home to restore. The interior of the unit was unfinished and alot of the joints were damaged. I repaired all the joints and refitted all the dovetail joints and started gluing it back together. The backing is new due to alot of the slats were missings so i bought some hardwood sheeting from Lowes and cut a new pc and fitted it into the back dado slots - It worked out nicely. Then I started coating the interior with Watco Oak Danish oil because it makes everything match nicely (more pictures later of the finish work).
My question is this - The original finish is unknown and faded out bad. I am wondering if there is a easy way to restore the existing finish without having to sand the unit down. Some of the detail work would be difficult to sand and the unit is in good shape other than the finish being faded or worn looking.
Any thoughts on a good way to fluff up the old finish on this unit ????

Attachments

• Doors.jpg
    Doors.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 39
  • Top.jpg
    Top.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 36
  • Unit-1.jpg
    Unit-1.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 38
  • Unit-2.jpg
    Unit-2.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
First I would check with the aid of a scraper on a hidden part to find out whether the existing finish is a varnish or shellac type or oil type.

If it was oil type I would use steel wool all over the piece and apply another coat, tung oil, linseed oil or similar.

If it turns out that it is a varnish type, or the type of finish that stays on the surface of the wood you've got only to choices, scrap it off or give it another coat.

My two cents.

First I would check with the aid of a scraper on a hidden part to find out whether the existing finish is a varnish or shellac type or oil type.

If it was oil type I would use steel wool all over the piece and apply another coat, tung oil, linseed oil or similar.

If it turns out that it is a varnish type, or the type of finish that stays on the surface of the wood you've got only to choices, scrap it off or give it another coat.

My two cents.

Great advice Toni! :thumb:

Dan, that looks like it should restore very nicely! :D

My two cents.

Great advice from Toni.

The only thing I can add: If it's a film finish (not an oil) use a bit of denatured alcohol, in an inconpicuous place, to see if it softens/dissolves the existing finish. If it dissolves in alcohol, then the finish is shellac, an you can easily recoat it, since the new shellac will adhere to the old. Shellac is one of my favorite finishes - easy to use, and durable.

If the alcohol doesn't soften/dissolve the finish, then it's probably a varnish of some sort, and it'll need sanding and recoating with a similar product.

If its not shellac

Then I'd recommentd a product I use in my restoration business called "Dad's Easy Spray, varish, stain and paint remover". It come with a seperate spray bottle. just spay it on the area to be cleaned, let it set a few minutes then use a scrub brush to scrub out those carck and crevices. I usualy take a hose and spray off the area to get rid of any residue. Don't get it on your skin, ask me how I know...:(:eek: