Whats in a Name?? or I am who I am

I recently signed up for another forum, and received their E-mail informing me that they rejected me because their rules state that all members must present them with their legal name and E-mail address.

Seventy-three years ago my Father, may he rest in peace, gave me the name Jiggs Elphison. My sister who is older than I is named Margaret. For you older members you may remember the comic strip Bringing up Father. The main characters were Jiggs and Maggie. We received this honor because the creator of the comic strip McManus, was a close personal friend of my grandparents.

Well apparently their forum administrators will not accept my name. Yes this problem has surfaced many times in the past, it's good enough for Uncle Sam, Social Security, IRS etc. but not for Woodworking Forums. My birth certificate does show a middle name, it's Wm. Not William just Wm. Try to pronounce it.

I figure if it was good enough for my Father it's good enough for me. Yes sometimes I get tired of the question, "Is that a nickname?" or "How did you get that name?" That best short answer I've come up with is, "My father wanted a cocker spaniel!"

I just want to thank the Family Woodworking Forum for accepting me for who I am, without requiring me to produce legal documents or DNA.

Jiggs Wm. Elphison

Not sure how you slipped through :huh:...guess we have to look into how we let people in. ;):D :rofl:

My brother's name is Matt, I'm to young to remember Mutt and Jeff but my parents had to hear a few jokes about it.

Trust me, Jiggs, your name did raise an eyebrow when you first registered, but I figured it must be real, since nobody would some up with a nickname like "Elphison". :p

I had long wondered if you were named after the Jiggs of comic strip fame. That's cool that your family has connections back to the man who made "Jiggs" popular. (and I remember the comic strip, too.)

Jiggs,
Welcome to the group.. Know the group you mentioned, won't mention their name..
Fathers have a way with their children's names... Govenor Hogg of Texas names his girls Ima and Ura.

There's an old story going around... a young guy joined the military. as the story goes, he didn't have actual names, only initial... R. B. Jones... the military being the military put the word "only" after each initial... he did his entire military career as Ronly Bonly Jones...

Jiggs, have you any special WWing jigs to help with saw setup and such? I too have a quaint rememberance of names , when I was growing up there was a Barber named E.O. Story goes that when he was born they aske the Grandmother which name she liked and she said Either One sounds good to me... As a result Either One Richardson (E.O.) was defined. I saw the Barber's liscense and there it was in bold print.

Welcome :wave: Waiting to hear about some good Jigs, Jiggs

Welcome Jiggs,

My dad was in much the same situation as you. His dad, my grandfather, was named Garland Orland Rodecker. They wanted to name my dad after my grandfather but they didn't like the sound of Garland Orland Rodecker Junior. Instead they simply called him G.O. Rodecker. His initials were his name. He joined the Navy during WWII and every time payday came around he'd have to argue with the quartermaster that he really was signing his name. ;)

Later, after he had kids, he picked up the nick name "Daddy go go". :rofl::rofl:

Welcome Jiggs

I think in my family we got off lightly, my Dad had a fixation for the letter R so we had my brother Rodney, my sister Ruth, me Robert and the dog Rudolf.

Thank goodness I was not born with a red nose, I could have been named after the reindeer.:rofl::rofl:

Hi Jiggs,

When I used my name in Irish - Breandain MacGiollaRiabhaigh, to join some forums it was rejected because the computers decided it was a randomly generated sequence of letters so I just stuck with the Anglosised version.

BTW, it means 'son of the brindled (grey haired) servant' - I'm from lowly stock.

Last edited:
Welcome Jiggs

I think in my family we got off lightly, my Dad had a fixation for the letter R so we had my brother Rodney, my sister Ruth, me Robert and the dog Rudolf.

Thank goodness I was not born with a red nose, I could have been named after the reindeer.:rofl::rofl:

Good thing your Dad wasn't George Foreman... he has 5 or 6 sons all named George and his daughter's name is Georgia or Georgiana..

My son's name is actually Jason but until he got to be a teenager, I always called Jorge (George).. after his Mexican Uncle... my brother in law was Mexican and he and Jason shared the same birthday.

Welcome Jiggs

after i read this rob, i was reminded of a line from a very good movie. "we named the dog indiana." :rofl::rofl:

Welcome Jiggs.

I wonder how they deal in those forums with people's names from other countries, how would they know if an indian or german name is a true one or not.

Welcome Jiggs.

I wonder how they deal in those forums with people's names from other countries, how would they know if an indian or german name is a true one or not.

I've often wondered that myself... When traveling and stopping over at motels, I've noticed that we have a lot of them run by Indian or Pakistani nationals... the manager's or owner's name seems to be always "Patel"... which I think means something like "innkeeper".:):)