1st attempt at hollow form

This is my first real attempt at a hollow form.it wasn't gonna have a final or a different foot but.:dunno: I was trying to hollow it and got to thin on the bottom. It is made of some of that spalted pacan with red heart final and foot.I know i need to get a lot better but for a first attempt the wife likes it.:) Here is a pic of the rest of that spalted stuff as i was getting ready to seal the ends.
thanks for looking and all comments bad or good welcome
Steve

Attachments

• 015 [800x600].JPG
    015 [800x600].JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 012 [800x600].JPG
    012 [800x600].JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 50
  • 001 [800x600].JPG
    001 [800x600].JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 002 [800x600].JPG
    002 [800x600].JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 005 [800x600].JPG
    005 [800x600].JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 41
save me a log of that spalted pecan around 20" and 12ft long and i will drop and pick it up:)
your hollow for looks good at the finish for the first try exspecailly:D:thumb:

save me a log of that spalted pecan around 20" and 12ft long and i will drop and pick it up:)
your hollow for looks good at the finish for the first try exspecailly:D:thumb:
If i could get a piece that size i'd be more than happy to do it for ya.:D

Stephen,
That is a nice piece of work and I think the Redheart is the perfect accessory for the form... really sets it off nicely. Good Job.

Chuck it was ether the red heart or some ebony pen blanks.maybe i'll glue up the ebony for the next try.;)

Very nice 1st attempt. I wish mine had been that good. If you like making these things have a look here at Cindy Drozda's work. A lot of them are in fact boxes but they will get your inspiration juices flowing:p

Pete

Pete thanks for the link.your right she does some great work and i'll be trying some of her boxes as i can see that it sure is easier to made a box than a hollow form.:D I can see a lot of inspiration coming from her site.

Stephen that is a good looking HF for your first. I got all three of Cindy Drozda's DVD's. She is really good at showing how to on finials and her boxes. Her boxes can be addicting.

I'm not into hollow forms myself Stephen, but am well aware of the work and attention involved in achieving them, if that's a first attempt then I would say that you have more than mastered the basics and well on the way to producing some attractive work.

Stephen that is a good looking HF for your first. I got all three of Cindy Drozda's DVD's. She is really good at showing how to on finials and her boxes. Her boxes can be addicting.
Bernie thanks.it wasn't gonna have the final or the red heart foot but when i blew out the bottom i did a redesign.:D I'm probbly gonna get at least one of cindy's dvd's
That's a fine hollow form, especially for a first. :thumb: What are the dimensions?
Vaughn i'm trying. some day i'll get to know what i'm doing.:dunno: the dimensions are 5 3/4 by 3 tall with the final a extra 4"

Nicely done, Stephen.

Bruce
thanks

I'm not into hollow forms myself Stephen, but am well aware of the work and attention involved in achieving them, if that's a first attempt then I would say that you have more than mastered the basics and well on the way to producing some attractive work.

Chas thanks i do appreciate the comments ya all give me,it's the only way this rookie will learn.

Stephen, you absolutely nailed the form on that vessel. That's outstanding for your first one...or your one hundreth one. That Pecan sure is some pretty wood, too.