Turning clubs?

Al killian

I found a local turning club and have a idea of joining What do you think about them? Are they worth the time? It is only $20, so the cash is not a problem.

Al ya got to watch Larry. He wants to join so bad he can taste it.:rofl::rofl: He sure puts on a good front.:rolleyes:;)

Yes Al joining a club is well worth it. You can learn a lot, take turning lessons, and get lots of info from turners. I wish I was closer to one because it sure would have made the learning curve easier and faster.

Larry, sorry but I have to do some turnings. It helps pay the bills.:)

Bernie, Thanks. I am going to call the guy tommrow and see when the next meeting is.

Al,

That's the best value in wood turning. I belong to 2.
Most clubs have library of books and DVDs for members to borrow for free. $20 is less than renting 3 DVDs. One of our clubs has 6 lathes and the other has 12 lathes for holding turning workshops and classes. There is demonstration at each monthly meeting. It is be nice to get inspiration from other members' work.

I found a local turning club and have a idea of joining What do you think about them? Are they worth the time? It is only $20, so the cash is not a problem.

Hi Al,
I'm late picking up on this thread, but agree with Bernie and Gordon, it's definitely a plus to belong to a club. I only belong to one club/group and don't go often because it's nearly 50 miles to the meeting and at night... but when I do go, I always pick up something new and useful. We have demo's and instructional sessions at every meeting. Really wish I could get up there more often.

In addition to the other benefits already mentioned, my local club has a wood raffle each meeting. Members bring in stuff to donate, tickets are a dollar each. I've won some pretty cool stuff.

Dan

I say join also. My clubs meetings are the 3rd Thursday of each month. They are in our local Woodcraft store we also have different monthly demos & also wood raffles, To rent a video it cost $1. One good thing it takes only 15 minutes to get there, although you can drive completely through this state in about 45 minutes. :rofl:

Al, Just the sharing of ideas is worth the $20. I pick up ideas all the time to make my pieces better.

We also try to have demos every month. We have our show and tell. and what we call bring back which is our donated raffle. This can be anything from tools to wood to finished pieces. each ticket is a buck. I look forward to the meeting every month.

Alan

Well I will let you know how it works out. I am going to the meeting next month and will hook up with one of the senior members who has already agreed to help me get the finer side of turning done. OK, now back to the shop and make some maple base board.:wave:

I also belong to 2 clubs. We have wood raffles as well and a Library. We also have a Turn-around every few months and Saw-dust Sessions as well. It's like having all the folks from the forum in one room sharing ideas. It's a lot of fun working on projects together. We meet at different members shops. Our monthly meeting is at Woodcraft.
Go for it, Grandy from Georgia