Bois d'Arc Hollow Form

Cody Colston

The collar is Bois d'Arc, too, ebonized with black shoe polish. The vessel is 7 1/2" wide x 3 1/2" tall, finished with Deft gloss spray lacquer.

Attachments

• Boisd'ArcHF.jpg
    Boisd'ArcHF.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 41
  • Boisd'ArcHF2.jpg
    Boisd'ArcHF2.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 42
Good to see you got some turning time in, Cody. That's a real nice-looking piece. :thumb: Osage orange sure does finish out nicely.

Cody, that is really nice, the form is spot on, and the wood is delicious :D

I like the collar being black, but I'm not taken with the shape of the collar :dunno:

The flat bit where it lays on the top of the HF then transitions into the part of the collar that rises up, the collar is kind of hard edged, compared to the lovely flow that you have in the body of the HF itself.

I think the collar takes away from the beauty of the HF, just my opinion mind you :D

The black shoe polish sure worked well in making it black! :thumb:

Cheers!

I agree about the collar but not because of the colour, smply because it seems too big to me. Iw ould look better IMHO if it was smaller diameter and merged more with the top of the form. But then I am not keen on the high gloss that you guys all seem to use much preferring a softer look to the wood so I am probably out of sink with the transatlantic view:rofl:

Pete

I agree about the collar but not because of the colour, smply because it seems too big to me. Iw ould look better IMHO if it was smaller diameter and merged more with the top of the form. But then I am not keen on the high gloss that you guys all seem to use much preferring a softer look to the wood so I am probably out of sink with the transatlantic view:rofl:

Pete

Hey Pete,
I guess my wife is of your same opine.... everytime I bring in a piece with high gloss, she comments that it looks artificial :rolleyes:... so now that I have run out of high gloss polyurethane, I guess all future pieces will have a satin look.:D

I have noticed that when I'm doing a show, the pieces most people seem to want to touch and handle are the more satin type finishes... my wife has christened my turnings as "Fondle ware"... :rofl:

Thanks for the comments, guys. I'm also undecided about the collar but it is what it is. :)

Chuck, Bois d'Arc turns well and hollows ok when it is green. It's also very stable so I turn to completion and skip the DNA and additional drying time.

However, the stock I have was cut one year ago next month and it's been outside in an open air cover all that time. It's starting to get a bit hard and hollowing is a lot tougher...at least for me.

Chuck, Bois d'Arc turns well and hollows ok when it is green. It's also very stable so I turn to completion and skip the DNA and additional drying time.

However, the stock I have was cut one year ago next month and it's been outside in an open air cover all that time. It's starting to get a bit hard and hollowing is a lot tougher...at least for me.

I've turned Bois d'arc green and it does turn nicely... I had a pretty good stock, mostly smaller stuff though, from my step-father before he died. He has a huge Bois d'arc in his cow lot.. it's the biggest BD'A I've ever seen. They usually don't get much over a foot in diameter, his must be closer to 3 feet at the base... but now that he's gone doubt I'll get anymore wood from that tree... I've about used up what I had.. I think I have one small limb left I'm saving to make another duck call from.