One more plane question

Dan Thibert

I am trying to have a good plane collection that is very usable and reasonably priced.
So far I have a No. 3, 5, 60 1/2, 9 1/4 and I just purchased a No. 7 on EBay.

For the most part I think I am done, my wife is sure I am done :rofl:

But.......... I am looking at a Stanley No. 75 Rabbit plane. Are these a good tool to have, or they would just look cute on the work bench?
I could see it possible coming in handy but I am not 100% sure.

Does the 75 also work as a chisel plane? If it did I think it would be much more useful.

Would there be a better option I should be looking at?

Should I just be happy with what I have:thumb:

Thanks
Dan

Dan,
Beyond the essentials (which you already have) i think your next purchase should be guided by the types of projects and tasks you have lined up. If you're doing a lot of hand jointery, a shoulder plane might make sense. If you're glueing up panels, a #95 or a fence for your #5 might be the best - maybe a #80 scraper or a #112 scraper plane. If you plan on working hard or difficult grains, a high angle smoother (or low angle smoother with a high angle blade) would be great.

That said, the #78 rabbet / fillester plane is a really versatile tool that i use quite a bit. Anant makes a good current version of the plane. If buying old, i'd actually stay away from the Stanley version - great design, badly machined. The Record (especially the #778 with the two pin fence) and the Millers Falls versions really are much better. I've yet to see a Stanley 78 with decent machining, while the other two seem to have better fit and finish. If buying used, make sure the fence, fence pins, and depth stop are all present and accounted for.

paulh

The 75 is an inexpensive plane - you can find them on eBay for maybe $15. I had one and sold it. I just didn't use it - it was too small. It cannot be used as a chisel plane unless you grind off the front. You sometimes see them that way since the plane is so inexpensive people don't mind doing that.

Overall, I'd not recommend purchasing a 75. Think about what work you want to do and make your purchase decision based on that.

Mike