The Brese Small Smoother Kit - WIP

Derek Cohen

Ron Brese offers a version of Holtey's S11 small smoother as a kit. He provides a complete steel shell (precisely machined), and you add the infill.

TheBreseSmallSmootherKit_html_213b493.jpg

This is a work in progress of my construction of the infill. It should have been a very simple task, however a custom modification of the bed angle meant that the design needed to be refined. This is the documentation of what I have done.

All observations and comments are welcomed.

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/TheBreseSmallSmootherKit.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek,

Enjoyed the step-by-step (or close to it) process. I'd seen the kit and wondered how hard it might be to do it proud. Guess now we all know the answer to that.

Thanks again for detailing the operations for the rest of us. Look forward to seeing your finished project.

Regards,

Making an infill plane, either from a kit or from scratch is one of the things on my "to do" list.

Thanks for such a thorough documentation of the process, and I look forwad to see the final result.:thumb::thumb:

Thanks for the post Derek. Toni its on my to do list too. But that list is getting so long :rofl:

Hey Derek how about you add yourself to the map we dont have a pin in Australia for the forum. Go on there mate.:):thumb:

Link to the map..

Great looking project so far, Derek. :clap: The detailed narrative is well done, and the quality of your work illustrates your love of the 'art' involved.

Derek,
Nice work. thanks for sharing. I've thought more than once about making an infill smoother. I didn't know you could purchase the assembled / machined metal assembly ready for the infill. That certainly takes the machining intimidation factor out for those of us with limited experience and metal working equipment.
I've been thinking more about making a Krenov style wood smoother or two to cut my teeth making planes. Seems like a good place to start.
Have fun with it.
Paul Hubbman

Hi Paul

Ron's kit is a fairly painless way of building a desirable infill. This is going to be an excellent user.

There are a few ways to achieve this type of result.

One is to build a Krenov-type plane (I actually have a real Krenov, and I use it when I can). Here is a 30" razee design jointer in Jarrah with a 2" Hock blade. I also made the lever cap and lever cap screw - see here for ways of building these without metal tools.

Jointer-shopmade1.jpg

You can build an infill by using the steel shell of a Stanley. This small smoother is from a #3. It is a bevel up design with a 25 degree bed (I was experimenting with a higher bed). Used with a 35 degree bevel, this has a cutting angle of 60 degrees. It is simply an amazingly good performer ..

Stanley3infill1.jpg

Or you can find a derelict infill that no one wants ...

Renovating%20an%20Infill%20Smoother1_doc_52c5f396.jpg

and rebuild it (discovering along the way that it is a Spier!) ..

spier%202.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek