Vacuum pumps........?

Stuart Ablett

I recently found this deal..........

Surplus Center <link

p4-1540C.jpg

$89.95

1/4 HP Rotary Compressor Vacuum Pump
New GAST 0523. Direct drive, oil-less, rotary vane vacuum pump. Motor is thermally protected and will restart automatically after the coils cool.

SPECIFICATIONS
  • HP 1/4
  • Voltage 220 AC, 50/60 Hz, 1 ph.
  • Amps 1.5
  • RPM 1725
  • 4.5 CFM at 0 PSI
  • 3.6 CFM at 10 PSI cont.
  • PSI 15 int.
  • 0.5 CFM at 26" Hg max.
  • Ports 1/4" NPT
  • Duty continuous
  • Thermal protection on motor
  • Size 5 5/8" x 13 1/4" x 6"
  • Shpg. 31 lbs.
Would this unit be good enough for a vacuum chuck on a lathe?

Price is cheap, and they will ship to Japan.......

Cheers!

Stu,

I think that is the unit that a number of others have used for their lathe set-ups. From what I have read, everyone has been happy. Either way, as Cecil said, 26" Hg is plenty.

Naturally, Surplus Center has a bunch of other neat stuff - you know, since you're paying for shipping anyway . . . .:D

Wes

Well the shipping via USPS, surface is $55, with a filter, $6 it comes to about $150, so I'm not sure if I will go for it or not.

I've heard that a house vacuum will work, I've got one of those sitting here, it really sucks, so I'll give that a try first.

Cheers!

Hi Stu,
I thought I had heard somewhere of a air compressor vac setup that seemed pretty reasonable. You might google it unless someone else has a linky.

vac pump

I got that very unit just before Christmas and just purchased a bunch of other stuff from JoeWW to build a vac press. Hopefully I'll get a start on it this weekend. I'll try to keep a photo journal and post a few progress pics, not much of a photog though.

oilless?

wont that thing heat up to much without oil on a vacume press bill.i was told they need to run awhile like a day or so to get veneers to dry and set up. if it will work for veneering then perhaps i could use one i got some veneering to do and was headed towards a vacum press myself

Help me out here guys, found this on Yahoo here..........

vacuum_pump.jpg
Rotary Vacuum pump
0.01mmHg
15ℓ/min
1/8HP

all for the sum of about $80, three hours left on auction, no one has bid..............

Would this work for a vacuum pump on the lathe?

Cheers!

Man, I just noticed this little detail on the motor plate............

vacuum_pump_motor.jpg

Notice the date of manufacture............. 1955 :eek:

I guess if they make them good they last....?

Maybe this should be in the Old Iron section :rofl:

oilless??

Larry,

I guess we'll see. It's rated for continuous duty. The set up I will build has two tanks that comprise a sort of vacumn reservoir. There is a vacumn monitor that starts and stops the pump when the pressure raises (vacumn decreases) beyond a certain point. I hope this unit will perform ok.

Bill

HI Stu,

I have the Gast you originally mentioned and it is the vacuum pump of choice for both vacuum chuck turning as well as vacuum baging. I have heard (but it could be an urban legend) that frequently these units that show up on the #bay and such are old pumps from labs where radioactive isotopes may have been used and that they may have contamination that you wouldn't know about without a gigercounter of some sort. I bought mine new and it has worked flawlessly for nearly two years now.

HI Stu,

I have heard (but it could be an urban legend) that frequently these units that show up on the #bay and such are old pumps from labs where radioactive isotopes may have been used and that they may have contamination that you wouldn't know about without a gigercounter of some sort.

:eek:

HI Stu,

I have the Gast you originally mentioned and it is the vacuum pump of choice for both vacuum chuck turning as well as vacuum baging. I have heard (but it could be an urban legend) that frequently these units that show up on the #bay and such are old pumps from labs where radioactive isotopes may have been used and that they may have contamination that you wouldn't know about without a gigercounter of some sort. I bought mine new and it has worked flawlessly for nearly two years now.
If indeed there is any measurable radiation on them, I'd doubt it's more than you're exposed to walking down the street.

By the way, you can say "eBay" here without being chastised. Heck, you can even post links to eBay, too, as long as you're not using it to promote your own sales. ;)

Geez Vaughn, what are you doing....? I was very much enjoying all the various ways people would say "Ebay" without saying "Ebay" ;) :rofl:

I'm out on the pump thing anyway, the vacuum adapter for my lathe came, and it says it is only rated for "high volume, low pressure" vacuum, like from a vacuum cleaner.

Cheers!