Who needs some wood for a tabletop?

what would something like that weigh? i can see it now,a picture in the local newpaper of a pickup with that straped to the top of it and the quote under the picture "I dono what happen"

You'd have arms like King Kong after planing that tabletop flat. On the plus side, by the time you got done shooting a coat of lacquer on it, the end where you started would be dry and ready for another coat. ;)

That's definitely impressive. Wonder what it costs.
BTW, I have often wondered if customers really care what a wood is. I have gotten the impression that how it looks is what matters.
If it were a new cut maple/oak/cherry/whatever, would the customer like it less than a piece of wood that had been in the mud for 50,000 years?

That's definitely impressive. Wonder what it costs.
BTW, I have often wondered if customers really care what a wood is. I have gotten the impression that how it looks is what matters.
If it were a new cut maple/oak/cherry/whatever, would the customer like it less than a piece of wood that had been in the mud for 50,000 years?
According to that page, it's on sale. $75,000, marked down from $100,000. Better jump on it before the sale ends. :)

I've had similar questions about whether customers really care about the origin of the wood, but the ancient kauri pen blanks I've worked with have been amazingly chatoyant when finished. Maple/oak/cherry would have to be pretty unique to catch a customer's eye more that the kauri.

Telling a customer that it's 50,000 year old wood could get their attention too...at least a conversation starter I would think.

I'm waiting for it to drop below $70,000 before I call to have it shipped! Usually I only pay $1000 per year old, but this look like it could have some pretty nice figure in it. :dunno::huh:

:p:D:wave:

Jeff Bower said:
...Usually I only pay $1000 per year old, but this look like it could have some pretty nice figure in it. :dunno::huh:

:p:D:wave:

Hey Jeff, I have some two year old red eucalyptus with nice figure that I'll let go for the bargain price of $1,995 -- this week only. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
According to that page, it's on sale. $75,000, marked down from $100,000. Better jump on it before the sale ends. :)

I've had similar questions about whether customers really care about the origin of the wood, but the ancient kauri pen blanks I've worked with have been amazingly chatoyant when finished. Maple/oak/cherry would have to be pretty unique to catch a customer's eye more that the kauri.

Yes, I have heard about the chatoyance of Kauri, it is supposed to be something special. I think a customer would be attracted by that and the story would only lend to the mystique and appeal of the final item made from it.
I have seen some Kauri web sites for furniture and whatever made from it. There sure seems to be a lot available making me wonder if those prices are really justified.

I think a lot of the cost is in the recovery. The logs are massive, so it takes some serious machinery to get them out of the ground and processed into lumber.