next project

Frank Fusco

My son spotted these rolling pins while on vacation and touring George Washington's distillery.
An avid cook, he wants one.
I have no idea what specific purpose the pins were designed for. They differ in several ways from the French pins I have made .
Tis a puzzlement, indeed.
I'll have to guesstimate the dimensions. Believe they will be about 16 to 18" long and 1 1/2" diameter. I plan to use mahogany.
The turning should not be difficult but discovering the history and purpose will be the challenge. I'll start by asking George's servants.

Attachments

• old rolling pins.jpg
    old rolling pins.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 105
Interesting looking. If it is ok, I'll copy the picture and send it to my niece at Elway's in Denver. She collects them.

I wrote to the folks at Mt. Vernon asking for information on them.
I'm guessing they are English pastry rolling pins. There are several differences between these and the French pastry pins below. For me, that almost confirms it since the French and English do everything differently.
There is, of course, a danger that I will now go in search of the history of rolling pins and all the various permutations they have come in over the years.

Attachments

• French rolling pin.jpg
    French rolling pin.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 33
My guess Frank would be that the ends are designed like that so you get a predetermined thickness of pastry every time.

My guess Frank would be that the ends are designed like that so you get a predetermined thickness of pastry every time.

If the knobs were not the same diameter as the roller part, that could be an interesting assessment.
I'm having second thoughts about them being rolling pins at all.
These appear to be new made and not something original to George. And, they are in the distillery, not a kitchen or bakery. :dunno:
I'm thinking that maybe they are double ended muddlers and not rolling pins. Just a wild and crazy thought. :bonkers: