Components

Mike Grimm

Alright, I'm sorry if this is the most basic thing there is to do with Sketchup, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to make something a component and then make it part of a new sketch, to eventually make up an entire piece of furniture.

Can someone please explain this too me, before my head explodes.

Once you have all your components together, will the materials list generator plug-in thingy work?

Alright, I'm sorry if this is the most basic thing there is to do with Sketchup, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to make something a component and then make it part of a new sketch, to eventually make up an entire piece of furniture.

Can someone please explain this too me, before my head explodes.

Once you have all your components together, will the materials list generator plug-in thingy work?

at it's most basic:
1- draw something basic (like a board)
2- triple-click on the object and it should hilight in blue.
3- right-click and select "make component"

It's now a component. grab and move it as a unit, and you can plug it together with other components to make something bigger.

is this what you're looking for? :huh:

that's how i do it art, except for the triple clicking. i just use the arrow and draw a dotted line box around the item. i usually draw the item with all the needed details (tenons, mortises, etc.), make it an object then put it together as if it were an actual part. as far as the cutlist plugin goes, once you have your assembled item (table, chair, bridge, etc.) done, i draw the box with the arrow around the whole thing, highlighting everything, then use the cutlist plugin. it will generate the list based on over all dimensions. if your part has tenons on each end, it will measure out to the ends of the tenons. hope this helps! :thumb:

Thanks guys, yes this is what I was looking for.

I guess I was confused in the fact I thought you had to draw each piece, then save them all individually, sigh. I didn't realize you could do it all on one screen so to speak and then just put them together. Boy do I feel like a useless boob.

Dave, new baby is due in November, I know thats still a ways away, but I know for sure I'll have some time off at home then, so I might give you a jingle then! haha, mark it on your calendar now just in case hahaha. :rofl: