BEALL Woodfinishing Kit

I've seen that talked about on other forums.
There are those who drop to their knees in near-worship at the name "Beall". The idea of the kit can't be bad but, personally, I don't see anything there new or unique.
I don't know when I first did this, but many years ago, I got a cloth/rag type polishing wheel and secured it to a hunk of all-thread with some bolts, chucked up in whatever was handy, [e.g. old grinding motor, corded drill held in a vise, more recently a lathe, etc.] charged with some rouge and buffed and polished away. I think a gunbuilder might have put me on to the idea.
I believe that you could build your own 'kit' for less money by just buying some rag wheels and polishing compound bars.

I have the Beall Buff (as do many others) and I like it a lot (though I don't drop to my knees in worship). Puts a beautiful shine on. Frank is correct that you could possibly (probably) do it cheaper by piecing a system together, but sometimes going with 'mating' components is better.

I recently used it on some curly maple, came out with a beautiful deep shine.

I also have the bowl buffs for getting inside bowls. I don't find them as soft as the as the buffing wheels, but they do work well.

Just watch the edges of your piece and hang on -- it will catch and launch! :eek:

I have used the Beal system for over 5 years. The three wheels have three differing materials. No worship here, either, but it is worth the investment. If you are doing bolws, get the balls, too.

What you get with the system is polishing, which gives THE WOOD a mirror finish.

Bruce

Thank for the input - After reading your comments I was ready to order until I found out that a 1/3 hp electric motor ran from $125.00 to $350.00. HF has one for $57.00, but I've bought from them three different times and got burnt
twice.

I don't do lathe work, I wanted the buffing system for flat work, band saw boxes, wine racks, jewelry boxes etc.

I'll put this on hold for now. I'll check the pawn shops for a "cheap" motor

Again I thank you

Jiggs Elphison

The Beall system is very widely used and recommended by a lot of turners. It'd work well on flatwork, too. :thumb: I have the equivalent system from Don Pencil. and also use a set of smaller no-name buffing wheels that I got at the Borg. Although the Beall (and Pencil) systems use different buffs for different compounds, you can get by OK with any soft buffing wheels. Plan on separate wheels for each of the buffing compounds, though.

Thank for the input - After reading your comments I was ready to order until I found out that a 1/3 hp electric motor ran from $125.00 to $350.00. HF has one for $57.00, but I've bought from them three different times and got burnt
twice.

I don't do lathe work, I wanted the buffing system for flat work, band saw boxes, wine racks, jewelry boxes etc.

I'll put this on hold for now. I'll check the pawn shops for a "cheap" motor

Again I thank you

Jiggs Elphison

Yer thinkin' like me with the pawn shop idea. ;) Also antique shops and flea markets. Motors can be found, often for as little as $5.00.