Another BORG story!

Ron Jones

Yesterday evening my neighbor and I went to the blue borg to pick up a few things--masonite (yeah, I know hardboard) being one of the most important. We couldn't find it so I asked a young employee for assistance.:doh: He had no idea what I was talking about and asked another associate. This man was 40ish and didn't know what I wanted.:( He called the supervisor who told him to show me the Hardy backer board--tell him it's the same thing only better and a little more expensive.:rofl::rofl::rofl: To me, Hardy board is a little extreme for making templates for Adirondack chairs.:eek::eek:

I have never been impressed with the blue borg. In fact, I think I've been in 2 of them my whole life, and one time was because a friend of mine forced me to go with. I do not like them a bit.

The orange borg, while it is still lacking in what it used to be back in its glory days, is much better in my opinion. Now that they have their big boss man back, I've noticed a huge improvement in customer service, its almost back to the "yes, I know what I want, and where it is, leave me alone" that it once was. I like being able to find help if I need it, but hovering over me is not going to impress me.

Well, I'd look for masonite in the plywood area first, and if it wasn't there I'd go to the paneling/beadboard wainscot display and check. If not there, I'd look for wherever they were hiding the bin where they put the 2x4 or 4x4 cut sheets... which may or may not be anywhere near the others two places.

To be fair (a little), the last guy was probably thinking of masonite as underlay material... which may explain the Hardi link. Maybe.

Having used masonite as you were trying to do, I'd suggest MDF instead. Easier to find, and in my experience, it keeps a 'cleaner' edge. Plus, I can almost always find that in cut up pieces that are easier to haul. :thumb:

Well at least they tried :rolleyes: to find out, by going up the chain, but what I can NEVER understand is why they can't say "Gee, I'm not familiar with that, what is it..?" asking you the customer what it is, as you know what you are looking for.... :doh:

Now....... try to do all of that, in a different culture, and a different language, that you can only sort of speak well :D

Cheers!

Stu,

I'm thinking your do a LOT of just walking around and looking.

I go to my HD so often I know where most everything is.

They do have 2-3 guys that know the stock.

Yep, you are right, a LOT of walking around and looking, I try to keep a mental picture of where everything is, but every now and then, they go and rearrange a bunch of stuff :doh:

This store is about 3 years old and the staff is usually knowledgeable and helpful. I did check the plywood/paneling section but found nothing. I considered MDF but all the had in stock was 3/4. I didn't want a hernia from chair templates. I wasn't as upset as just plain amazed at their ignorance. I thought of the flooring aspect too. Just a little bit of a stretch to me. I'll go back and share the info with the manager--he's a good guy and we know each other from past deals. He will handle it in a friendly manner with the associates--no yelling and shouting; just educate them as should be done.