Kitchen Doors coming along

Dan Thibert

I will need to get some pics up soon but at this point I have the rails and styles cut for 6 doors and the faces for 6 drawers.

My question is I will have 24 doors total and about 20 Drawers. The existing doors already have hinges on them that are mortised. I have not done anything like this "yet" but know there would be about a $300 savings if I were to re-user the hinges already there. But I would then have to figure out how to mortise and attach the hinges to the new doors.

What would be the best technique? I know you need pics to really help I will try and get some when I am home.

Dan

If they are the cup style hinges, as Ive just learned, look up the brand and you will probably be able to find out the cup size, as in 35 mm, and just need a forstner bit. You can build a simple jig, or buy one for 10 dollars to set the hinges in the doors.

I was wondering if I could use a Forester bit, I am planning on taking the hinges of one of the doors and see if a round hole would work.

I should also see if they are all hung at the same spot on all the doors, then making a jig would be easy.

I was wondering if I could use a Forester bit, I am planning on taking the hinges of one of the doors and see if a round hole would work.

I should also see if they are all hung at the same spot on all the doors, then making a jig would be easy.

if they're the 'Euro style' hinges, you'll need a 35mm forstner type bit. A 1-3/8" bit works almost perfectly, too.

The hole will need to be about half an inch (12mm) deep, with its edge about 1/8" (3mm) from the edge of the door.

I've installed a couple hundred Blum and Hafele hinges this way.

I hear ya, I always thought the mortises in those euro hinges didnt look round, since the cup part of the hinge usually isnt all the way round, but I think they all are going to be.(my plumber gave me a bucket of used hinges he had from an old woodworker, all the brands needed 35mm holes)

Dan, if they look anywhere similar to these, then they've very likely the 35mm Euro hinges:

49d5_1.JPG

55793-01-500.jpg

somewhat similar to the first one

if thats the case then you have european style hinges, now measure down from the top of your doors and you find a measure ment they ususally are the same distance down from the top and the same distance up from the bottom. so you would need to have two stops set up for your new doors.

you should make yourself a template with the hole drilled all the way through.
This way each hole will be exact same spot from ends on all doors and exact distance from edge you need.
Use a piece the exact width of the stile.and carefully cut the hole all the way through.
Hold it over each stile when the doors are done, drill down maybe 1/4 inch, remove template, then drill to depth.(thats how I would do it, but I am an amateur, but still feel templates are the way to go when doing many of the same installation)

IF you have a drill press, you can set up blocks.

Jim the hinges have the word Blum on them. Would it also have the size lister somewhere?

There should also be a number on them somewhere. You can look up the install specs on them at Blum's website. They have detailed PDF files for all their hardware. Every Blum I've seen had a 35mm hole. Distance from edge is critical. Distance from top/bottom is your choice. Be sure to plan for clearances for any pull-out drawers or such.

I build door first then drill holes. Nothing fancy. I use my drill press set to the correct depth, a temp fence set the right distance (test on a scrap - label and keep for future setup!) and a couple of lines drawn on the table. I don't use a stop because it makes me handle the doors more - first all of one side then all of the second.

Not only are these great hinges but they are VERY EASY to install. Even I can do it. :thumb:

Thanks guys,
The one thing I will have to look into is if the hinges were installed the same throughout the kitchen in the first place. There are probably 10 different size doors so each door could have been hung differently? Maybe I should make my own template ignoring the previous placement so I can do each door the same? I will have to do some checking to see if they had any rhyme or reason when they originally installed the doors?

Thanks
Dan