big decision, historic life passage

My only fear of digital cameras is that they get outdated about as fast as a computer.

Who knows - maybe jpg, tiff, bmp - and all that will become old news - like the cassette tape, cd's and the like.

My sentiments exactly, you can buy something and by the time you get home, it's outdated.

So I have a new theory, I buy peoples outdated stuff and make do. My current camera is an Olympus C-3000 that I got at a yard sale for $75 If memory serves me right. A whole whopping 3.3 mega pixel. :rolleyes: It does what I need it do.

I went from this, a 1929 Model I Leica, to a Canon SD300 in fall of '05. I'll not sell it as my father bought it used around the time I was born.

LeicaFront.jpgLeicaTop.jpg

Hey Frank there are still supporters for film!

http://kenrockwell.com/tech/why-we-love-film.htm#rez

Just buying film is a problem. Getting it processed is a much-much bigger problem.
It was hard for me to make the leap from film to digi. But, looking back, I started with slow, grainy B&W film in 4x5" slide holders (want to understand dedicatio? think: going to an assignment with that big Speed Graphic camera, a flash unit almost as big as a small satellite dish, a big duffel bag full of film slides and another filled with flash bulbs the size of a 100 watt bulb plus a whole bunch of spare, and heavy, D cell batteries, and, for sporting events, add a 'portable' manual typewriter that had to weigh 30 lbs. :eek: ) to a twin lens reflex with roll film and a flash unit that would make a good boat anchor, then, finally to 35mm and vastly improved films.
But, their day has run it's course. No denying this is the age of digital.
I'll remember the old ways with my flintlock rifles.

never thought I would be asking the question

I am getting my film Nikon camera set ready to offer on eBay. Yesterday, I took pictures and made notes of everything in the set. Offering whole kit and kaboodle (can I say "kaboodle" here? :eek: ) as a set.
Enneyhow, I found there was still film in one of the cameras. Took it out then wondered where to get processed. Had to call Wal-Mart and actually asked if they still processed film. They do, but I never thought I would be asking that question of anyone.
If I get my price, there is an Olympus SP-590UZ in my future. :clap:

A good, photo quality, printer is also on my want list. :(

Frank, You being more a professional in the photo/literary world than me, not sure what you would consider a good photo quality printer, but my wife uses an HP Photosmart D80 (I think) that maked great prints... uses 5 ink cartridges instead of the standard 4... and ink is pretty reasonable. And the printer is around $100.
Hers worked really great until she set a glass of 7UP on the table above it and the cat decided that was where she wanted to sit and knocked the glass over onto the printer... the printer still works, but evidently the paper feed for the photo paper is still sticky and jammed... haven't been able to get it fix. If I take it apart again, may be able to clean it up again. Just haven't worked on it lately.
My printer is an Epson C84... also does good job on photos.

Frank, You being more a professional in the photo/literary world than me, not sure what you would consider a good photo quality printer, but my wife uses an HP Photosmart D80 (I think) that maked great prints... uses 5 ink cartridges instead of the standard 4... and ink is pretty reasonable. And the printer is around $100.
Hers worked really great until she set a glass of 7UP on the table above it and the cat decided that was where she wanted to sit and knocked the glass over onto the printer... the printer still works, but evidently the paper feed for the photo paper is still sticky and jammed... haven't been able to get it fix. If I take it apart again, may be able to clean it up again. Just haven't worked on it lately.
My printer is an Epson C84... also does good job on photos.

The world of good printers is constantly changing. When the time comes for my purchase I'll have to start my research from scratch. I do know to look for one that takes archival inks. Expensive but necessary for good prints.

if you know of any one that wants 4x5 stuf pm me i have a lot crown,speed,flash bulbs (about 20 cases), six shooters and black box holders for 12 specturms with good leather bags on them also the cases

That is almost collectors treasures.
IMHO, there is still a place for the 4x5/8x10, etc. view cameras. Things can be done with the swing adjustments that make our hand held miniatures look like toys.
An enlargement from an 8x10 negative is, invariably, breath taking.
Oh, why oh why did I start this thread? I think I'm gonna cry. :(

That is almost collectors treasures.
IMHO, there is still a place for the 4x5/8x10, etc. view cameras. Things can be done with the swing adjustments that make our hand held miniatures look like toys.
An enlargement from an 8x10 negative is, invariably, breath taking.
Oh, why oh why did I start this thread? I think I'm gonna cry. :(

also got 2x3 in crown and speed with film backs and flash guns also . also got rollies and branca med format plus twin lens stuff and a glass 4x5 camera also all dark room stuff from 35mm to 4x5 inlargers any takers