Super Nova chuck insert problem

Nathan Hawkes

So, I bought a used supernova chuck off Ebay and have a problem; the new insert I got doesn't fit the chuck. It appears to be a slightly older chuck; its the same roughly 4" diameter body, but the thread pitch on the insert that was in the chuck--1x8tpi and the new insert, 1.25x8tpi are slightly different. The woodcraft site says the inserts match and are interchangeable with different Nova chucks, but it doesn't fit.......

The chuck body just says "Nova chuck", but it was listed as a SuperNova, not a supernova 2. The teknatool and woodcraft site seems to say that the chuck inserts and jaws should be interchangeable, but I'm stumped. I don't really need the chuck, I have 2 stronghold chucks--I don't like changing jaws. I just wanted a chuck that I could have non-marring jaws for box making.

Has anyone had similar problems with older SuperNova chucks not matching new SuperNova2 chuck thread pitches?

Last edited:
No experience here...have you tried contacting Teknatools? It's my understanding their US representative is good and responsive.