SketchList 3D Furniture Design Software

why dont you want the free version of sketchup to use ? and we have alot of folks here that can help you along in it. and if yu find that yu want more, then up grade to full version later..

I've tried sketchup - it just does not think they way I do. I find myself having a lot of difficulty dealing with the way it handles objects.

I can't help much, having never tried SketchList, but it does look like it does approach the situation a little differently. The macros for things like doors and drawers does sound intriguing to me.

Being hooked on sketchup, though, i've kinda found my favorite and don't really see anything lacking in it. Being free makes it even tougher to give anything else a shot. It took me a little bit of head scratching before everything kinda clicked - I have our own Dave Richards to thank for that. He laid things out in such a way that it just clicked in my head.

I do know that no software will make you a good drafter - that is, if you struggle to draw plans out by hand, it's been my experience that you won't find much solace in any software. They all tend to work best with folks who have "spacial" brains (that's an 'a' there on purpose!). People who struggle with mental geometry always seem to be frustrated by this stuff.

When I taught my SketchUp class a few years ago, most of my students eventually caught on so well that they were off doodling away while I was helping individuals. They told me they've always been able to picture things in their minds and so it worked well for them. The one or two that hit snags weren't stuck on any aspect of the software itself; they were actually having trouble navigating around their own mental picture of what they were after. One thing that really really helped them was to turn on "Parallel Projection" in the View menu - this got rid of the vanishing point distortion and everyone was eventually working ahead of me before long. It told me how intuitive the thing really is.

Sorry ... i guess i got off on a tangent (arc tangent?). That SketchList looks nifty in that it may ease the super-quick sketches so you don't spend your time drawing doors and drawers. That's about the only bit that caught my attention, though. I am clearly biased, though, so maybe it really is worth a look :)

Phew, I am pleased to see I am not the only one that battles with Sketchup. I do think its a bit like dovetails though. There is no better proof than Tonis lessons on practice practice and more practice.:D Oh and if at first you dont succeed try try and try again,,,,,,then give up before you make a complete fool of yourself.:rofl:

I did try Sketchup, but honestly for the moment I do not want to make the effort of learning another 3D CAD software.

So far I've worked with Autocad, Solidedge, Solidworks, Mechanical Desktop, Impact, Artios, Rhinoceros 3D. Once you are familiar with one learning another one is easier but honestly I'm getting saturated.:( Maybe in the future I'll give it a deeper look.:dunno:

I think that if I wasn't so enamored of SketchUp, I might download Sketchlist and give it a test run. Two weeks ought to let you know if you like it and whether it works with the way you think and design. That it seems to be oriented toward furniture design might make it a better choice.