any tips for replacing single cedar planks on siding?

Jason Vanick

I need to replace a few pieces of the cedar plank siding on my house due to woodpecker damage...

I'm assuming that I just pull the old one off and slide a new one in, but I figured I'd ask the experts first...

Thanks!
-J

There are a lot of old methods but new technology has made it more easy to accomplish. The new tolls Multi-Max and the Dremel version have a metal cutting blade that can reach up under the lap and slice the nails , allowing for free removal of the blank (either cedar shingles or lapped siding) Might be worth an investment.

They also make a tool similar to a slimjim for poping open car doors. It is a flat piece of steel with a sharpened hook that can grab the nails and with a sharp blow from a hammer you can yank out the nails.

With horizonal lapped siding you can pry up and pop the nails loose , carefully remove all nails and slide out the damaged siding, re-insert ( put some caulking on the ends of the new piece (between the joints) and re nail, using new nail holes holes and caulk the old holes.

Last edited:
thanks guys, project went pretty well.... ended up using my sawzall to cut the nails, a bit of caulk on the edges and slipped the new pieces in.

I rate it a 1/2 a six-pack on the difficulty scale.

now, staining the rest of the siding, while not difficult, what a pita.

next time, it's all getting torn off and replaced with vinyl.

-J