I'm looking for lawn tractor information

Jim O'Dell

Specifically if anyone has any personal dealings with the Cub Cadet LTX 1046 VT or LTX 1050 VT lawn tractors. I'd love to have a JD, and I'd love to have a ZTR, but one of these will be pushing things as it is. I like the foot control for speed, but I don't know anything about the B&S Professional Grade engine. So for, Briggs has not answered my request for where it falls in their line up. I wouldn't question if it had the B&S Vanguard engine that so many mowers had a few years ago, but nothing in the sub 2K range seems to have these at this point. I know that Sears has a couple of mowers with the foot controls, but as far as I can tell, these are limited to B&S Intek engines. I haven't ruled out the Husquavarna models with the foot controls either. Just need to see if I can find all of these to look at.
So, anyone out there with one of these engines? Thanks! Jim.

Can not answer you question and I hate it when people do this, but I guess I will just have to hate myself.

If you have a large yard don't write off the ZT mowers too fast. I bought one two years ago and it was the best purchase I have made in many years. It's amazing how fast I can mow this yard. I honestly don't mind mowing now. Still hate weed eaters thought.

The LTX 10xx VT's have a more powerful engine that the non VT series. In the 1046 model, the difference is 20 hp Kohler engine vs a 23 HP B&S engine. I'm guessing it is the same in the LTX 1050 models. Unless you are cutting hay, I'd reccommend an LTX (no VT) and use the savings for a sun shade:D Which one depends on how much grass you mow. Get the 50 if more than 2 acres.

Also, Like Jeff said, a ZTR will save you LOTS of time mowing. Go with a tractor if you also need it for towing implements (trailers, rototillers, etc....)

Jim,
I don't know any of your answers, but I use a Troy-built to mow my lawn which is just under a full acre... Mine won't be a flat as yours either... my back yard starts at 5 feet behind the house and goes up hill for 60 or 70 yards... at the back side of the lot, the yard is about 20 or 30 feet higher than the top of the house. Can't recall any of the specs on my tractor right now, but I know it's a Briggs & Stratton engine and it does a good job climbing the hill under power. I like it because of the foot control for speed. I tried the neighbors John Deere when mine was in shop for new drive belt... the JD had a hand lever for speed.. other than being bigger and more powerful tractor, didn't do any better than my little Troy-built Pony and I was a little uncomfortable with the speed control.

Most of my neighbors use the zero turn mowers, but their yards also tend to be flatter than mine...

Thanks guys. Jeff, I started out wanting a ZTR, but the wife said no to the money. And she's right, it just not there. My yard is pretty flat, except for the last 20 feet of the backyard, then that drops about 5' to the fence. This will eventually get terraced. I'll have to do it in a way to still be able to mow.
I've read of lots of problems with the Kohler engine in the last 2 years, heads or head gasket problems. The B&S ELS series had a run where the air filter cases would warp from the heat, let dirt bypass the filter, and take the engines out. That seems to be taken care of with a new filter assembly design, but they had to warranty a bunch of engines. I'm thinking that the "Professional Grade" is basically the ELS with a new badging, but I was hoping to find someone that knows for sure. Never know who our members work for in their real lives, and the knowledge they have to pass along!
Several of the Craftsman mowers a couple years ago had Honda and the B&S Vanguard engines in them. Don't see that now.
Thanks for the insights! Jim.

I have a John Deere with the 20 hp B & S engine. Doesn't say what type except that it has a G 4 crankshaft and cast iron cylinder sleeves. It has over 300 hours on it and all I've ever done is change the oil, oil filter, plugs and air filter every year. Oil sometimes twice a year depending on the hours. Oil still looks new when I change it and it doesn't use any. Still have the original battery in it and its 3 years old!

Jim, yes the Vanguard is their top of the line. It is designed and made in Japan by Diahatsu, which evidently part of Toyota, according to one article I read. Yes, this would be a very good engine, and was easily available on even the consumer tractors about 2 years ago, but not now. The Kawasaki engine would be my first choice, but again, most tractors with those, including the XTRs start at 3 grand. Higher that I'm going to be allowed to go. :rolleyes: Jim.

I had an email from B&S when I got home this evening. Didn't tell me where this engine falls in their line up, so I resent that part of the question. They did send a PDF brochure for the Professional Grade engines. It appears from the picture to basically be the ELS engine. The shroud is almost identical, except there is an added yellow button or decal on the shroud above the left bank. The one thing that might make it different is it does have a chrome plated exhaust valve. That may be the only difference. I can't find a brochure for the ELS online. You'd think B&S would have them on their website to download, but if it's there, I can't find it. Of course, my wife would pop up and say that that would be normal for me.:rolleyes: Just thought I'd pass along the info as I got it. I'm sure the next answer from B&S will be the max 3 days again, which probably means next Monday. Maybe I just need to go look at tractors!!! :thumb: Jim.

Last edited:
The biggest problem that I have seen with the B&S engine is the plastic intake manifold. It tends to warp where the carb mounts onto it. I know that there is one B&S that has a metal manifold and it will fit, but I can't think now what engine it is on. I don't know how much you have to spend or how large your lawn is, but there are some homeowner models now in the ZTR's. They are not built as heavy as the others, but they still do a good job. I would stay away from the borgs because they don't service what they sell and then you are stuck finding someone to repair it and finding parts.

You mentioned two things, no JD and under 2 grand. I was just at a fellow teacher's home the other day and his wife was mowing the yard with a new JD riding lawn mower. I gave him a hard time about it until he confessed it was better than his last two Sears tractors AND it cost him $1,800.00! So, don't go to the big box store, go to a JD tractor dealership and deal. You might be surprised, I was and it was doing a fabulous job and she said the ride was the best of any lawn mower they had ever owned.

Ztr's are fine if all your going to do is cut grass. I keep asking loml if she wants to sell the J D LT 125 and get a ztr mower and I get a look that could kill. Love my J D and the B & S engine in it and wouldn't trade it for a kohler or any other make. One type of engine I would stay away from are the single cylinder engines. Don't seem to run as smooth as the v twins.

The borgs cannot sell JD cheaper that the JD dealer. The only thing they can do is write off the setup charge. The JD dealer may be able to do you better. Get to know them because if you do go with JD that is where you have to take it for warranty issues. Around here there is a 3 week turn around for Sears as they are shipped out of state to be repaired. I would be inclined to but from a local dealer of whatever brand that provides good service after the sale.

You mentioned two things, no JD and under 2 grand. I was just at a fellow teacher's home the other day and his wife was mowing the yard with a new JD riding lawn mower. I gave him a hard time about it until he confessed it was better than his last two Sears tractors AND it cost him $1,800.00! So, don't go to the big box store, go to a JD tractor dealership and deal. You might be surprised, I was and it was doing a fabulous job and she said the ride was the best of any lawn mower they had ever owned.

I'd go to the big box store and see what they are selling for first. Paid $1700 for mine at the big box store. Wasn't going to get that at the J D dealers. Loml cuts 2 yards that are almost 1 acre and 5 yards that are about 1/2 acre in size every 2 weeks or sooner depending on how fast the grass grows. This from a big box store John Deere 42" riding mower. Never a lick of trouble from it !

Thanks for the link Jim. It didn't go into too much on the ELS, but it didn't say anything about a chrome exhaust valve, so my guess about that being the difference between the Pro Grade and the ELS may be right on.
Now after some other reading, I'm trying to find out what trannys the Cubs use...specs only says alum housing. :huh: Thanks again everyone! Jim.

I have and acre and a half of rough, rocky and hilly ground to mow. Have been using a Craftsman with minimal maintenance required. I also use it as a work horse for many chores year round pulling a small trailer. Admittedly, it is not a heavy duty machine but I have known of many that were in similar use for up to 20 years.
The Kubotas are popular in this area for heavier duty use. They are powerful and have many accessories available. I have noted that, for whatever reason, they are also very noisy.
New Hollands are also considered a quality machine.
The under $2,000.00 JDs I see at the BORGs strike me as Craftsman/Murray/etcs with green paint jobs.

...The under $2,000.00 JDs I see at the BORGs strike me as Craftsman/Murray/etcs with green paint jobs.

Pretty much - lump in Troy Built, Cub Cadet, Toro, MTD, and a few others with that, too.

All of them are using either B&S or Kohler engines, and some sort of hydrostatic drive. CC & JD both have cast iron front axles. Not sure about the rest...

The Kubotas are much more rugged, and are mostly diesel powered. They're also about three times the price of the others.

All that aside, my five year old JD, with a Kohler 17.5 hp has been pretty reliable. No actual repairs yet, and I mow all Summer, plow snow in the Winter, and also haul stuff around with a trailer quite a bit. Hopefully, I can go at least another ten years with this one.

I do my own maintenance, changing the oil and oil filter every 25 hours, and the air and fuel filters every 50. Mower blades get changed/sharpened more or less monthly.

Wow! I got an answer in one day! :thumb:
Here is what they wrote:

"Thank you for your inquiry.

The professional series of engine is one step below the Vanguard engine. It has many of the same features but is only lacking on a couple. I hope this was able to answer your question."

I told him that's where I thought it was, but he now raised another question or two. what are these other differences, and is this based on the same Diahatsu design. Let's see if it's Monday before I hear again. :wave: Jim.

Last edited: