Red Eucalyptus NE Bowl

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
This is a little piece of red ironbark eucalyptus, about 7 1/2" by 6 1/2" wide and 3 3/4" to the tallest parts of the wings. The walls are just under 1/8" thick, but I got a bit carried away sanding, so the rim tapers down to nothing on one side. Finish is a couple coats of Formby's Tung Oil Finish, buffed with Don Pencil's new "PL" compound, then Renaissance Wax. The PL compound it pretty cool. It's marketed for poly and lacquer finishes, and you use it on a relatively slow (700 to 800 rpm) heavily-charged flannel wheel. Based on the way it behaves, it's like an extra-fine tripoli compound, but more abrasive than white diamond. You can get pretty heavy-handed with it without burning through the finish. Don told me that it can be used instead of tripoli and white diamond, so that's what I did on this piece. (However, I used the PL compound then white diamond on the eyeshadow bowl, and it did shine up even more.)

There were a few cracks (this is eucalyptus, after all), and they were filled with black epoxy.

Bowl 066 - 01 800.jpg Bowl 066 - 02 800.jpg Bowl 066 - 03 800.jpg Bowl 066 - 04 800.jpg

As always, comments and critiques are appreciated -