Boxes - I don't have a stove

glenn bradley

Toni mentioned a small box that was in progress in the background of another thread of mine. I realized I have sent quite a few of these little odds and ends out into the wild without taking pics; for shame. These are all some variation on a floating panel box, made as a cube and then cut to provide a slip top or a hinged top depending on the preparation.

This one is for some friends we will be visiting over the Fourth. Some shedua scraps with a book matched piece of ash for the top, ash for "knob" and keys. The bottom is milled out of an old pallet slat ;). A reasonable number of coats of clear de-waxed shellac to let the shedua shine through and a touch of paste wax.

I use a miter gauge on the router table to cut the hinge slots. I put double stick tape on to hold the hinges and allow a test fit. With the hinges in position I mark the screw holes.

Matchbox F&M 001.jpg Matchbox F&M 002.jpg

This is another "cube" waiting to be rough shaped.

Matchbox F&M 003.jpg

My sig and date stamp:

Matchbox F&M 013.jpg

And just some more pics . . .

Attachments

• Matchbox F&M 009.jpg
    Matchbox F&M 009.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 100
  • Matchbox F&M 010.jpg
    Matchbox F&M 010.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 93
  • Matchbox F&M 018.jpg
    Matchbox F&M 018.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 96
Nice box Glenn:thumb: I also like the way your doing the hinges, dbbl side tape and clamping them together :eek: what a great idea :D I have never thought of or seen them done that way, I WILL BE TRYING THAT, thanks for showing pics of your process they will help me in the future for sure:thumb::thumb::thumb:

glenn, can you pass along the size of the bit and brand name you used for that raised panel?

That was a green Woodcraft 1/4" radius cove bit bought during one of their repeating $5 bit sales. I removed the bearing and used the fence to get a safe deeper cut resulting in this profile on my 3/8" thick material:

cove.jpg

You can see the tell-tale fuzzies that I've found from all but the sharpest bits when milling ash (the ash I have is fibrous as all get out). This was the bit's first use BTW :rolleyes:.

Last edited:
thanx, I wasnt sure how to get such a small profile for a lid cover, thought Id have to buy some small profile raised panel bit, now I can try some of those tops for the couple of boxes I make, I have 2 cove bits.

thanx, I wasnt sure how to get such a small profile for a lid cover, thought Id have to buy some small profile raised panel bit, now I can try some of those tops for the couple of boxes I make, I have 2 cove bits.

When I do raised panels on boxes I just do it on my TS. I made a sled that rides on the fence, move the fence to the side oppisite the way the blade is tipped and do all four side of the panel. This is a save and quick way to do it. I also do my raised panels for cabinates the same way. Next time I do one I take some pix.

thanx don, dan noren has already posted a tutorial thread about that sled.
Ive used that for the panels I made, I just wanted to know how he achieved a curve with such a small profile. I didnt think he did that on a TS, I figured the router. I thought there were dedicated bits for that kind of stuff.(really small panels)