Mishap without much consequences.

All accidents happen when we rush to do something, and this is not an execption.

I was making a woodhinged box for my niece, and made a mistake with the dovetails, so in order to still use the wood I decided to cut the tails off and start anew accepting that the box would be a bit smaller.

In order not to make it too small I cut the tails flush without leaving any wood, and wanting to do it fast I did it on the bandsaw.

Well on the second piece the saw caught one of the tails and dragged it down crunching it against the plate, and bending it.
Luckily the saw didn't break and nothing happened but a scaring "pang".

What I've learnt from this is never ever rush again!!

Attachments

• bd01.jpg
    bd01.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 59
  • bd02.jpg
    bd02.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 61
  • bd03.jpg
    bd03.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Wow. That will get your attention. Glad it grabbed the wood and not you.

Yeah, what Glenn said!

As for the saw, it looks like you can hammer the blade insert flat again, and (carefully) go back to work. Worst case, it doesn't look like it'd be too hard to make a new insert - maybe even a 'zero clearance' one.

Tony, good thing you weren’t hurt. I had a similar band saw mishap the other day. I was cutting two piece of 1” ID PVC pipe for the air supply on the organ, and the second one got pulled from my hands and the blade drove it through the table insert and bent about 9” of the blade to a 45.:( I’ve ordered a new insert, bought and installed a new blade and thanked my lucky stars I still have my fingers.:bow: I think I’ll make a jig before I cut anything round again.:bang:

Thank goodness you did not get bitten by the machine.:) But Toni your insert is interesting. Given any thought to making one from the UHMW white plastic. I did that with mine.

Would you still have had the problem if there were not so many holes in the insert. I guess they are there for dust collection eh!.

But I can only agree with you about the rush thing. I am slowly starting to learn to slow down in my woodworking and the result is less frustration and scrap but most of all safer.

Thanks for the post Toni, its these posts of accidents that help bang home the safety issues.:thumb:

Would you still have had the problem if there were not so many holes in the insert. I guess they are there for dust collection eh!.

Hi Rob. The insert is the original insert that came with the saw, I only drilled the holes for dust collection as you say. Before most of the saw dust would remain on top of the table. Now I collect almost all dust from there and I do not use the big dust collector port at all. Maybe I should post how I do it.

After the accident, I just hammered it back to shape. It is my intention to substitute it by a plastic or wood one but thicker, I will have to make a rebate on it to make it fit on the hole.

Glad to see it was no worse than it was. I've had a "pang" moment myself on my bandsaw, and it definitely wakes a person up when it happens.