Happy 4th. Any big plans for the long Weekend

Don Baer

Staff member
As we celebrate this independence day lets not forget those boys and girls who are out there keeping america free. So anyone got any plans for the 4th. I'll be in the shop all three days but I will take a little time for a Bar-B-Que, (ribs). And there is a great fireworks show at Schnepf Farms about 2 miles away so we'll sit out front and watch That.

Last edited:
I am going to be locking myself in the shop for three days... only coming out for food and refreshments...

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

would you believe that I'm going to be building the bed this weekend, and also organizing my shop? Plus going to see some fireworks and a bonfire in the back yard at some point if things dry out? oh, and also learning to use sketchup some more thanks to Dave.

FIL taking my daughter to an I-Cubs game tonight (AAA affiliate of the Chicago Cubs) so LOML and I have a few hours to go out on the town by ourselves. Tomorrow shop time and painting a bedroom. Saturday off to a friends house to watch area fireworks from their deck that has a great view of the metro. BBQ and cocktails there, sleeping there too so maybe to many cocktails :rolleyes:...Sunday will be a rest day with a little shop time too.

Happy 4th to all of you!

Well, I'm glad some of the companies you work for are giving you Friday off as the holiday. Not so in the car business. We will be closed Sat, but it wasn't my Sat to work, so no gain for me. In fact, it pushes the Sat rotation back a week and makes me work the Sat of Labor Day. :(:(
Going up to Lake Texhoma to my parents house for the Fourth. They have a community picnic. I'll get to meet all the people that have been so good to my parents transporting them to the Dr. visits when the need arises, and thank them for their help. There will be a parade of decorated golf carts. Sounds like a hoot. I'll try to remember to take the camera and get some pictures.
Have a safe and happy holiday everyone! Jim.

my wife is having 30 women over tonight for an outdoor movie night, women only!

like theres 30 women of all ages that could keep their traps shut for 2 hours!

never happen, but Im hoping the rain doesnt spoil things for them.

I will be a server, a popcorn make, a beverage retriever, an overall take care of any small things type of worker, after working 10 hours retail today.

Ill take a picture.

Well, I am going to through some ribs and chicken on the smoker in the morning and make some ice cream and later in the afternoon have my folks come over for dinner with the family. I might get a little time to clean in the shop but other than that just a lazy day.

Alan

we'll be heading over to my cousin's house, for a family picnic, good thing he has lakeshore property. :thumb: hopefully we'll touch the canon off a few times as well.

ned, don't forget bathroom breaks, because if you'll be doing that much woodworking, with all the shavings and sawdust about, you might switch to hamster mode... :rofl::rofl:

allen, all i can say is be careful, those hen parties can get pretty rough some times... :rofl::rofl:

Have a great celebration tomorrow you guys in the good old USA.

Best place i have been on the 4th July is Pittsburg. Those fireworks are amazing. Some of the best i have ever seen.

Happy 4th July...:thumb::clap::clap:

30 women, aged 16-75, and I ran out of adirondack and wooden chairs!

you guys made fun of my pictures of dozens of chairs I made hanging out in my yard.
I had to break out all the chairs tonight,(not unusual for movie nights)
The skies cooperated finally.
I wiped off and reset seat cushions 5 times since 7;45, and had to change tee shirts 4 times.I felt like the guy at the ballparks(the ushers) who wipe off the seats after a rain delay, but noone tipped me. (My daughter would tell me daddy, youre sweating and smell, thats why I love her)
The weekend is starting off nice, and very early.
Wish I didnt have to work tomorrow.
gonna be a late night.

Attachments

• wood stuff 999 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 999 (Medium).jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Allen, back in the day, spending the evening surrounded by 30 women sounded like a lot of fun to me. Now it just sounds like a lot of work. I must be getting old. :D

No big plans here for the weekend. We're making a trek to WalMart Friday, which will be the high point of the weekend since we're going there via the Angeles Crest Highway, so we'll have a nice 30 mile trip through the mountains along the way. On the 4th I plan to fire up the smoker and the grill and burn me some pork and beef. (LOML will have a few tastes, but she's not much help in the meat-eating department.) I'll have a slow-smoked pork shoulder cooking most of the day, with some ABTs done somewhere in the middle to take to a party later in the day. We're just planning on a quick appearance at the party, then back home to grill some teriyaki pinwheel steaks and corn on the cob for dinner. (The pork shoulder will be pulled pork leftovers for weekday lunchmeat next week.) After that, we'll just be slounging around the house the rest of the weekend.

If I get really motivated, I might clear off my tablesaw and cut a few pieces for some flatwork projects I've been putting off for months. I've also got plenty of stuff to turn, should the urge strike me. :D

The Bride took yesterday off so we spent a lot of quality time together. The Boy and his GF went camping. Grilled giant all beef hot dogs and corn on the cob for dinner and ate on the patio. Today, and for the rest of the weekend, I will fly my 13 star American flag, the MIA flag and Navy flag. Today, we will make home made vanilla and fresh strawberry ice cream. We are going out to dinner tonight. I might have some Louisiana Jambalaya and she will probably have prime rib. Tomorrow, I will cut up a few slabs of Pork Spare Ribs into the St. Louis style and cook them low and slow over oak lump with a little apple and cherry as smoke wood, for about 6 hours. We’ll have that with baked beans and a Caesar Salad, maybe some garlic bread. Sunday night, I will grill cheese burgers. Each day, The Bride will work in her quilt room and I in my shop.

For me, it doesn’t get much better than this!

God bless our Country and our fighting men and women that have protected our way of life for the last 400 years.

Allen, back in the day, spending the evening surrounded by 30 women sounded like a lot of fun to me. Now it just sounds like a lot of work. I must be getting old. :D

Im in work today, could hardly keep my eyes open, seemed these ladies dont get tired, and yapped quite a bit after the movie.
I did get 3 requests for chairs and even one asked what Id charge for a tiki bar for her backyard.
I declined it all,

I beat my own record!

after a very late night friday:(, the second late night in a row, I woke up July 4th early, went to the borg and bought some pressure treated.
Worst Ive seen the wood in years, not ONE straight board in the entire store, but it was cheap, and I needed it on JULY 4th.
Took out my TE straight ripping jig, lost 1/4 to 1/2 inch a board, no choice
My bandsaw proved to be a very valuable asset Saturday.
I was able to cut all the curved pieces two at a time, with incredible speed and accuracy. (I even tilted the table and made the 30 degree cuts for the back supports) Incredible time saving.
I had unloaded the wood, laid it all on the tiki bar, ate breakfast, and went back to sleep. This late night stuff, well, Im just not used to it 2 nights in a row.
I woke up at 11 and went right to work.
By 4, after a few cool down breaks, and a small snack break, I closed the garage door.
I had cut all the wood to size, and routed over all the edges(the table mounted router made this alot faster also)
In 5 hours, I had done what normally takes me 6-8 hours.
I assembled them this morning in less than 2 hours, put them in my truck, and brought them to the people I made them for.(they live near the beach, and my wife and I went for a walk on the boardwalk and had lunch)
The glue was still wet, and it had dripped down the sides of the legs, and was just about dried when we got to their house. Talk about fresh builds!
They were ecstatic and could not believe I built these chairs july 4th and delivered them this morning.
(I even put another coat of poly on my unit IM building)

I know Im not in a race, but I wasnt working fast, just effeciently.
I could make these chairs in my sleep almost.
It was all in the bandsaw.I think Vaughn mentioned once how valuable I might discover the bandsaw is, and with vision sometimes compromised, and having a hard time using the handheld jigsaw for all these cuts, the bandsaw was like a hot knife throught butter, and using both hands to move the wood through from both sides, it made the work as close to simple as Ive ever experienced it.

Last edited:
Well done. Allen. That's cranking them out indeed. I think the technical term for it is "kickin' butt and takin' names". :D