Received plane from ebay broken

OK Mike,
Are you trying to open a can of worms:rofl:
How would I go about making a handle for the plane?

I guess having the existing handle is a good start and I woudl just rough cut to the general dimensions and the sand the shape out?

Might be interesting:rolleyes:

Rose wood is choice but a piece of curly maple makes excellant looking totes. I use a router to shape the tote, Round over bit , then file sand and such to achieve the final shape. As for the hole, Drill it before you cut the angle and shape, then align your old tote with the new using the hole as the guide and trace the shape.

Having said that, Didn't you glue the old one together? It should hold, if you did it right, I have glued many a tote in my years as an overseer of tool abusers (teacher) and had great success with them. I see no reason to worry with a new tote. besides, wait till you hear from the e-bayer. I have not yet found a seller who won't try to help you out. maybe he has a spare tote.

The tote you have could easily be re-glued, and if done well, will last out your lifetime.

If done well, the glue joints will be virtually undetectable. Use Titebond, or similar. DO NOT use Gorilla glue or epoxy.

If you're gonna make a new one yourself, drill the thru-hole first. A 15° angled hole is what you need.

As for what wood to use? Lie Neilson uses cherry, and they look very good. I've used cherry and maple. Tried walnut, but found it too soft.

Highland Woodworking has plane parts.

Check this link There may be more.

105010.jpg

I have not had good luck with ebay planes. I went on a spree and purchased about 6 of them. They all need a lot of work. Not sure that is how I want to spend my time.

But Good luck. Your plane looks good in the picture.

Get a Hock blade and a handle, you should have a good tool.

Last edited:
Dan, the tote is such a minor aspect of the plane unless you are a collector. If the plane body is in as good shape as it appears, I believe you got a great deal.

I used a standard wood glue, not Gorilla, and clamped it and let it sit for 12 hours.
I am in Florida on business so I can not do much from here, but it looks like the fix is solid. The only way to tell will be to use it and see what happens.

The main break is acutally pretty secure since the screw holds it in place also.

Dan

thanks for all your help.

I used a standard wood glue, not Gorilla, and clamped it and let it sit for 12 hours.
I am in Florida on business so I can not do much from here, but it looks like the fix is solid. The only way to tell will be to use it and see what happens.

The main break is acutally pretty secure since the screw holds it in place also.

Dan

thanks for all your help.

Dan,

www.monster-wood-tool.com

YES it was Randy. He contacted me and said he still has a few. You should get on his web site and send him an email. He will be expecting to hear from you.

I know that he did an AWESOME job with them.

It would be well worth your while to at least ask him about them.

Leo

I also have a tote that was broken. Simple to glue up and has been servicable. However, I did some brainstorming on how I would make a new tote.
Use the old one as a pattern.
Plan on drilling the hole verticle in blank.
Aline the old tote on the blank and roughly trace the outline.
Sharpen your pocketknife and began reducing the blank to an approximate size.
This is the time you can custom fit the tote to your hand.
Finish the shape with file and sandpaper. Sparvarish or use what suits you.
I didn't make a new one due to my hands.
Good luck.