I have been working on the D/C System

Gary Lange

I have started setting up the New Dust Collector by running 6" PVC SDR35 Duct work around one side and the end of the shop. I installed three 45* "T's" and will put in Gates at each of these drops. Here are some pictures as I know you guys like pictures. Took me a while to figure a method I could live with to hang the pipes but finally did it. Made cutouts in 2X4's and used Nylon Straps screwed to them to hold the PVC up. I think it will work great. I used Clear silicone at each of the joints.
DustCollectorSystem-3.jpg

DustColletorSystem-1.jpg

DustCollectorSystem-2.jpg

Looks good Gary.

I used 6" pvc also. I got a little lazy. Nothing in the joints. I have a 3hp grizz cyclone. I don't think I am losing enough suckage to make a difference.

What are you using for the sucker ?? :)

Here is the link to my install web album

A couple of pictures

IMG_0439.JPG

IMG_2905.JPG

I could not find "white" pipe so I painted all of the green stuff with white Krylon paint for plastic. Worked pretty well.

You are going to be really happy with the results.

Looks good Gary. Are you doing any grounding for static build up? I've heard it mentioned before about running a bare ground wire through the pipe but am curious if it is needed? Did you run any on your's Bartee?

That looks like it's gonna really suck, Gary. Well done so far.

Looks good Gary. Are you doing any grounding for static build up? I've heard it mentioned before about running a bare ground wire through the pipe but am curious if it is needed? Did you run any on your's Bartee?

I've read both sides of the "grounding PVC pipe" arguments, and I'm pretty convinced that the conditions don't exist inside the pipe for an explosion. That's strictly my opinion though, and there are lots of people who'd disagree.

That said, you can run a ground wire to discharge any static electricity that does build up, but IMHO it's only to avoid being shocked when you happen to touch the pipe, not to prevent dust explosions or fires.

Thanks for all the complements on the work in progress. I fought with how I was going to do it for a long time in my mind and then got the idea to make the wood pieces to stand it out from the wall and the straps came to me while I was looking for some metal to make straps from. Once I came up with the ideas it all went up pretty easy seeing as how I was alone in the shop on this one. I guess the real test will be when I finally get it all hooked up and kick on the Dust Collector.

I know one thing for sure that Dust Filter hanging in the picture does a bang-up job cleaning the air in the shop and has been worth every penny I spent on it. I had my brother come over and help me hang that one as it wasn't a one man job.

I followed some advice and just ran my system for awhile to see if any static buildup would actually bother me. As it turned out there was a spot I kept brushing against and the zap was a bother.

14ga insulated copper wire wound around the outside about 1 turn per foot works fine. No need to fight the wire through the pipe routine or bother with bare wire. The shock is already making it through the pipe wall, the extra sub-millimeter wire insulation is of noconsequence.

I grounded mine to the concrete; scrubbed the floor with mineral spirits followed by naphtha, attached foil tape to the floor. put an alligator clip on the end of the wire and clipped it on. Instant success and no repeat problems. I did put wire nuts at locations where I may seperate the pipe to add additional runs.

Last edited:
I did not do anything about "static" build up.

I have read many, many threads about the dangers of static build up.

BUT, I have NEVER read a thread by some who actually had a problem.

I also read a thread posted by a retired fireman. He had never seen a fire caused by static build up.

So, As Vaughn says, you have to make your own decision.

I made mine.....

And I LOVE my DC !!!! I just spent 4 hours in the shop and there is no dust in the air. I was doing a lot of ripping and using my 6" belt sander.

I have a hanging duct filter but do not turn it on much, now that I have the cyclone working.