HD again price gouging

Rob Keeble

Yup thats what i call it when you go to HD and price out a 6 inch threaded 3/8 bolt with hex head and it costs 2.09 Canadian. I wanted to buy bolts not gold.:rofl:

The plan for my new workbench calls for 16 at that cost without the nuts or washers, it would blow the budget. The price the plan designer had in his budget was 51cents US. Something does not stack up here we are being gouged left right and center.

I will try somewhere else out of principle. Chiseling us on the little things to make up for the marketing of the junk you dont want.:)

I've got a bunch of them I'll give you free gratis. You would have to pay the freight from Montana. if you want them let me know, but whether the freight would meet your budget, who knows?

I'm willing to put 6 in a box, go to the Post Office & UPS, get a cost and let you know if your interested.

Jiggs Elphison

never buy bolts at the box store!!

Check your local yellow pages, or do like I do, go to google maps for your house, put bolts, fasteners or industrial supply in the search bar and see what turns up

Like this

Thats what comes up in my area

Thanks Jiggs I appreciate the offer but I have found a better local source as Robert says in his post. It would have been convenient to pick them up at HD but this was more of alert to everyone to watch the small things at places like this.

Thank you for the offer thought it is most appreciated.:thumb:

Thanks for the tip Robert, I was already onto it.:thumb:

I had to get some 5" carriage bolts the other day and choked when I saw the price... and then as I went on to fetch the next item I saw the cheaper carriage bolts 15' away. Like 30 cents each instead of 86 cents or something crazy. :eek:

You want to talk about price gouging?

Last week the water pump on my 2003 GMC pickup went out. I also got a service engine soon light and that turned out to be a bad Oxygen Sensor. I replaced the pump myself pretty reasonably. I then checked a few online sources as well as local auto parts stores for the Oxygen sensor. They all sell several varieties (read quality) of the same sensor. For the top of the line sensor all sources were within $2-$3 of each other and they were around $53. On the way to pick up a new one I had to drive right by the GMC dealer so I stopped in and got a price. I figured if it was competetive I'd just pick it up there because it's only about three miles from home. They wanted $161 for the same part!!! What a complete crock! I was curious about that so later that day I stopped at another GMC dealer and their price was $171. Now THAT is price gouging!

John

Last edited:
A few weeks ago I had oil changed and the mechanic said that I was due for new front brakes on my 2005 Silverado. I asked him for a price and he quoted me something like $350. last friday I went to Checker auto parts and bout new shoes for $43.00 it took me 30 min. al tolk to do the job.

Rob, you missed a feature of the Home Depot Hardware. The higher price is to bring you shafts that break, heads that strip, and galvanized hardware that rusts. You can't get that at your local hardware store.

(Did I mention that I won't buy hardware at Home Depot unless they are the last resort).

IM not disagreeing with anything said here, but Ive always said these big home stores serve a purpose.
They are open long hours and provide a wide variety of things at usually competitive pricing.
And they offer coupons all the time and discount shopping.

Ive bought alot of junk from them, but thats my own fault.

One of them in queens near me, is open till midnight I believe.

IM not disagreeing with anything said here, but Ive always said these big home stores serve a purpose.

Agreed.

About a week ago I needed a small piece of 1/4" oak plywood for a back on a project. I have a basement shop, so I don't really have the space for tons of local storage. As such, I didn't really want to buy a whole sheet.

HD came through, and I picked up a nice piece of 24x48" red oak 1/4" ply for just a few bucks. :thumb:

So sometimes they're good. :wave:

Art and Allen you are absolutely correct. My wife says i have a love hate relationship with HD. Love em when i find what i want and get out quick and hate em when i dont and dare ask only to find i knew all along it was a long shot.:D I could not survive without them.:thumb:
But I still prefer my local little Home Hardware. Pay a bit more but its a local guy and you get to know him.

I rarely go to HD, usually if I go to a Big Box I'll go to Lowe's, but both are about an hour's drive away... my little town, as small as it is, has two hardware stores and a co-op, and it's only 7 miles from the house. Local hardware's don't carry any lumber and the local lumber is pretty limited... so if I need lumber, then it's a trip to 84 about 20 miles up the road, if they don't have it, then it's Lowe's 45 miles away. Funny thing is, I'll pass the Home Depot on the way to Lowe's.