Modern/contempry trim

Al killian

Mods, if this belongs in carpentry please move. I have been aske to make som clean line simple moldings for a remold job. Problem is the cleints do not have any pics of what it is they want. Any one have pics of some? I have looked on the net, but have yet find any decent pics of profiles. These cleints have a mix of orginal(circa1865) fixtures and modern. Any ideas?

I've always liked the look of simple rectangular casings, sized to be in scale with the other trim in the house - usually 3" wide x 5/8" thick. The face corners are usually rounded just a bit (less than 1/8" radius) thus some suppliers sell it as R.E. casing. If this is too plain, you might look for an oval faced casing where the face surface is a section of an oval. This gives a more contemporary look that may not fit a house with 1865 era fixtures. The RE casing can be dressed up a little with a simple backband to make it more traditional. Anyway, my $.02 - good luck.

A typical base moulding I would use would would be 4" tall with a 1/2" groove 1/4" deep that's 1/2" down from the top. It's clean and gives a nice shadow line. You could do the same thing but make it taller. Depending on if new drywall is being intalled you can set it flush and it's really clean.

You could then run a similar profile as door casing and get really clever and make sure the groove from the base runs up and around the door. Alternatively you could use a simple rectangular profile but cut a 1/4 x 1/4 rebate in the back edge where it meets the drywall and get a nice shadow gap detail.

Loves good Chris. How tall is that cove molding? I like the way you tied the modern and old together.:thumb: What are the header above the windows and doors?

Being a modernist architect I would avoid the cove as that goes back to old school but if you like it then that's all that matters.

patrick, i suggested it because he mentioned their mix of old and new.

i think if you're doing "true" modern trim, crown molding is not needed. not in any mod homes i have seen anyway.

by the way i love your neosheds, way cool!!