Current project - display frame - Delivered

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
Here's a few pic's of my current project. Actually, it's 1/3 of the current project. No need to tell you what it is, guys like Vaughn should recognize it in an instant.

This is the project I purchased the new Hitachi drill for - it has way over a hundred pocket screw holes. This pic was taken in my finishing room :D. I'm just putting a coat of poly on it for protection. All poplar and, yes, it will stand up when completed.
DSC_0071.jpg DSC_0072.jpg DSC_0073.jpg

Last edited:
OOOOOOOOOOOOO close. But no.

Here's a hint. Vaughn would see these on weekends and the 2nd and 3rd thirds look exactly like the first third. Each third of a third is 36" x 78" each.

Last edited:
Walls for a craft fair booth?
Give that man a cigar!:thumb:

Yep. A friend works in stained glass and needed a frame to fit inside a 10 x 10 booth area she could hang all her wares on. It has to be sturdy but also lightweight as she normally sets up alone.

Each of the 3 sections makes a side and they are hinged to fold up on each other like a privacy screen. Adjustable braces will allow the sides to splay out when room is available. All the connections will be with large knurled knobs and T-nuts from Rockler. Four adjustable feet on each group will allow it to be leveled if necessary.

I'm working on the modular connectors now. Everything has to fold down and be light enough for a single woman to load it in her pick up, so everything has to come apart and sections that fold must also stay folded. Took a lot of noodling to come up with all the connections. I'll post pictures as I complete them.

Last edited:
Dang got to it to late I knew the hint when you said Vaughn sees these on weekends.:D

At the moment I am so hot I could not take my eyes off that pool in the pictures. It looks so inviting when sweat is dripping down your forehead and LOML thinks its cold. Go figure.:huh:

Well, this took longer than expected

You might remember I started this last summer, but a few of life's speed bumps kept me from completing it. Now, with the spring shows just around the corner, it is nearing completion and almost ready for pick up by a very patient customer.

The answer to the riddle is this: it is a display frame for art shows. A friend of mine does stained glass art and also teaches same. She needed a frame from which she could hang her artwork at craft shows. It opens up to 9' on a side and stands about 6 1/2' tall. The requirements for the work included easy set up by one person and each section had to be light enough for one woman to load up in her truck alone. I was able to keep the max weight to under 30 lbs per section.

The frame is poplar with a few coats of shellac sealer and is joined with pocket screws. It is shown here partially folded in my living room. I'll post pics of it completely set up after I deliver it. The table full of accessories includes end braces, corner braces, outriggers for additional display space, and 'locks' that go over the panel joints to help keep everything rigid. Not shown is a two piece arm that joins the two side sections at the fist panel joint and spans over the display area. There are adjustable feet on each of the outside sections to deal with the vagaries of parking lots, etc. The accessories need only to be sealed and the job is out the door.
DSC_0001.jpgDSC_0002.jpgDSC_0003.jpgDSC_0004.jpg

Wow, that's a lot of panels, looks really nice. Looks like you could start a career in building display fixtures Rennie. :thumb:

Do the hinges just slide together? I'm not clear on how they are connected.:huh:

Wow, that's a lot of panels, looks really nice. Looks like you could start a career in building display fixtures Rennie. :thumb:

Do the hinges just slide together? I'm not clear on how they are connected.:huh:
Thanks - this was a lot more work than initially anticipated. The hinges are like those used for folding privacy screens and allow the panels to stack accordion style. They are called full back to back hinges. With three per panel they should be plenty strong.

I'm late for the quiz but I guessed it as soon as you mentioned Vaughn's name, although I though that they were for you, to start selling those mantel clocks and other things.:thumb::thumb: