Nova 1624-44

"sheaves"? Dunno if that is a step system or Reeves drive. Doesn't matter.
I'll light the fire by stating that, IMHO, for similar money you can do better.
That is a light machine on flimsy legs. You would (probably) have to build a stout bench for it to do what you want. (ask Stu) By then you have bigger money invested.
Personally, I would keep shopping.

Frank you better check out the Nova again.I have the Nova 1624-44 and you won't buy a better machine for the money. I got mine at Woodcraft on sale for $795.00 last year. And it does not have flimsy legs. It is one heavy lathe. Took 3 men to set it up. I love it, after having a Jet mini.

"sheaves"? Dunno if that is a step system or Reeves drive. Doesn't matter.
I'll light the fire by stating that, IMHO, for similar money you can do better.
That is a light machine on flimsy legs. You would (probably) have to build a stout bench for it to do what you want. (ask Stu) By then you have bigger money invested.
Personally, I would keep shopping.

I'll help you out Frank and throw some more gas on the fire by saying that I'll stick with my Grizzly and pocket the other $500. Then I would go to woodcraft and for $87 buy their chuck for my lathe.

If you closely at my avatar you will see my lathe.

I don't know who's right or wrong, but I do know the Nova 1624-44 has been one of the best-received and reviewed $1000 lathes on the market. Conversely, the Grizzly lathes have not won over a comparable number of turners. I'm a real fan of Grizzly tools, but I've not been impressed with their lathe offerings. Bottom line is that they all make the wood spin, and beyond that, it's mostly the skill of the person on the other end of the cutting tool that makes the difference. ;)

I know the Nova is considered a top quality offering.
And, I'll take Bruce's opinion that the legs are not flimsy. But, those pipes sure don't look as stout as the heavy cast legs found on most other brands.
Still wondering, what is a "sheave" speed control system?
Don't really mean to start a Grizzly vs. everything else debate. But, I have used a PowerMatic and I have the Griz G0632 EVS lathe. I'll stick with my assessment that this Griz model is 90% of the PM for much less money.

I'm a big fan of the Nova lathes, I've got the older Nova DVR 3000, and love it.

The Nova 1624-44 deal is great, but the "Free Stand" that comes with is the folding steel leg stand. Nova does offer the cast iron legs as an option.

Thing is, I'd rather build my own stand, I can build a much better stand than I can buy.

BTW Frank, you could not GIVE me a Grizzly lathe........... :D

I do love my Nova, but I've also worked on the Vicmarc VL300 shortbed lathe, and it is one serious machine, if I had it to do all over again (which I'm well aware I DON'T have) I'd have not bought the Nova and would have taken the larger initial hit for the Vicmarc VL300, it is truly a better machine.

Will the cheap Grizzly do what the VL300 does, yes, I'd say nearly 90% without a problem, but for me, the cheaper tools are never as nice to use, they always have some area that is cheap, some things that suck, some stuff that is less than perfect, for the money, you bet they are a great deal, and I fully understand why they are liked.

For me, (and I am the only person I have to please when I buy a new tool) the VL300 is more than worth it.

Frank, I think you have a 5th wheel, right?

Well, you could not give me one of them either, I've got lots of family who have them, I'd rather stay in a tent or a hotel, I very much dislike them things :wave:

Apples and porch space heaters here for comparison......... :rolleyes: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I'm a big fan of the Nova lathes, I've got the older Nova DVR 3000, and love it.

The Nova 1624-44 deal is great, but the "Free Stand" that comes with is the folding steel leg stand. Nova does offer the cast iron legs as an option.

Thing is, I'd rather build my own stand, I can build a much better stand than I can buy.

BTW Frank, you could not GIVE me a Grizzly lathe........... :D

I do love my Nova, but I've also worked on the Vicmarc VL300 shortbed lathe, and it is one serious machine, if I had it to do all over again (which I'm well aware I DON'T have) I'd have not bought the Nova and would have taken the larger initial hit for the Vicmarc VL300, it is truly a better machine.

Will the cheap Grizzly do what the VL300 does, yes, I'd say nearly 90% without a problem, but for me, the cheaper tools are never as nice to use, they always have some area that is cheap, some things that suck, some stuff that is less than perfect, for the money, you bet they are a great deal, and I fully understand why they are liked.

For me, (and I am the only person I have to please when I buy a new tool) the VL300 is more than worth it.

Frank, I think you have a 5th wheel, right?

Well, you could not give me one of them either, I've got lots of family who have them, I'd rather stay in a tent or a hotel, I very much dislike them things :wave:

Apples and porch space heaters here for comparison......... :rolleyes: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I was going to give you my Griz but can't afford the shipping. :rofl:
No fifth wheel. I feel like you do about them. My travel trailer is a regular tow type and I know how to handle it. We have done the tent bit. Lovely in Nebraska thunderstorms or east coast near-hurricanes. :eek:
Affordable hotels are equally lovely in that you can go to the parking lot and observe, first hand, numerous drug transactions.
Give me a state or national park campground with friendly folks all around.
Come by sometime and try my Griz. You might just end up saying, "Hey, that's pretty nice." ;)

Ahem...Frank....

A sheave (pronounced "shiv") is a wheel or roller with a groove along its edge for holding a belt, rope or cable. When hung between two supports and equipped with a belt, rope or cable, one or more sheaves make up a pulley. The words sheave and pulley are sometimes used interchangeably.

I'm 99% sure that from when I checked it out at woodcraft, they are a step pulley arrangement.

Ahem...Frank....

A sheave (pronounced "shiv") is a wheel or roller with a groove along its edge for holding a belt, rope or cable. When hung between two supports and equipped with a belt, rope or cable, one or more sheaves make up a pulley. The words sheave and pulley are sometimes used interchangeably.

I'm 99% sure that from when I checked it out at woodcraft, they are a step pulley arrangement.

Thanks. That is what I thought. Seems strange that many folks castigate the Grizzly because it has a dual speed range system that is step belt driven and must be changed for each range. The, high quality, Nova is an old fashioned step belt system but gets high praises. Inneressing.

One thing that is interesting about the Nova is the speed range. The Griz and many of others start at 600 RPM. This is quite fast for an out of balance piece, especially when turning bowls and such. It has plenty of horsepower available. It can be extended up to 44" between centers. There are a lot of accessories available.

I have never turned anything, but I dont want to buy a second lathe. I want this purchase to be the last as far as lathes go. I try to take that approach with everything I buy...... I know, wishful thinking.

One thing that is interesting about the Nova is the speed range. The Griz and many of others start at 600 RPM. This is quite fast for an out of balance piece, especially when turning bowls and such. It has plenty of horsepower available. It can be extended up to 44" between centers. There are a lot of accessories available.

I have never turned anything, but I dont want to buy a second lathe. I want this purchase to be the last as far as lathes go. I try to take that approach with everything I buy...... I know, wishful thinking.

The $300.00 Griz lathe I used to have started at over 400 rpm, admittedly fast for large out of balance pieces. But, it was a THREE HUNDRED DOLLAR lathe. The current EVS model I have will go as low as 200. With change of the speed dial (rheostat?) it should go slower. This is a minor deal with this lathe and I might not even change the dial. BTW, this is a $1,200.00 model. Very smooth running and powerful. It's the model I call 90% of the much more expensive PowerMatic.
I think your $900.00 Nova is probably good deal and, I'm sure, fine lathe. It's just that when a Griz has a step pulley or Reeves drive system they are called junk. I've gotten a teensy sensitive to my choices being called junk without facts to back those claims.

The $300.00 Griz lathe I used to have started at over 400 rpm, admittedly fast for large out of balance pieces. But, it was a THREE HUNDRED DOLLAR lathe. The current EVS model I have will go as low as 200. With change of the speed dial (rheostat?) it should go slower. This is a minor deal with this lathe and I might not even change the dial. BTW, this is a $1,200.00 model. Very smooth running and powerful. It's the model I call 90% of the much more expensive PowerMatic.
I think your $900.00 Nova is probably good deal and, I'm sure, fine lathe. It's just that when a Griz has a step pulley or Reeves drive system they are called junk. I've gotten a teensy sensitive to my choices being called junk without facts to back those claims.

I like Grizzly equipment and dont consider it junk. I have a G1023 table saw which I really like. I went into this thinking I was going to buy the Griz lathe, and I still might after all is said and done.

I have a Jet 6' jointer which is junk and will be replaced probably with a Griz when I start replacing equipment.

I am not sure why the Nova is thought to be so much better than the Griz with a belt drive. I see your point - it certainly doesnt make sense. I wonder if there is a way to slow the Grizzly down with a different drive arrangement? I am an mechanical engineer and should be able to figure out a way.

I just analyze the heck out of everything I buy, so this is part of that analysis. It really frustrates my wife on some stuff. She likes it when I am slow to buy a piece of equipment for the shop - it means that much longer before I buy the next piece.:rofl:

...........Will a cheap Grizzly do what the VL300 does, yes, I'd say nearly 90% without a problem, but for me, the cheaper tools are never as nice to use, they always have some area that is cheap, some things that suck, some stuff that is less than perfect................

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about the lathe that Frank has, I can see that my use of "the" instead of "a" was a mistake, sorry Frank.

I have no experience with your lathe.

I have tried other cheap lathes, and Jet, Beaver, C-man, and some other Far East lathes, and like I said, they always have some sort of stuff on them that can be upgraded to make them work better.

Thing is, with something as well build, designed, engineered like the VL300, I know that it will run big pieces, out of balance, in a production setting, with out missing a beat. In my situation, for ME I'd rather have the VL300, I know it's capacity.

Sorry again I was not trying to berate Grizzly.

Cheers! :)