Gotta go Spend Some Money - need help

Leo Voisine

My family just gave me a $215 Amazon.com gift certificate.
So -- I gotta go spend it.

Here are a few things I am thinking of.

Drill Doctor 750 or 500
I actually don't care about the ability of custom drill point angles - which is the biggie special feature on the 750. BUT - I do like that is can scarpen up to 3/4 without buying the adapter. I really could use a drill sharpener. For all intents and purposes, I beleive the 500 and the 750 are about the same

http://www.drilldoctor.com/pilot.asp?pg=compare-models

The link is for the comparison only

Price comparison wise
D500 machine-3/4 adapter-extra wheel = about 160
d750 machine and extra wheel == about 160

So price wise it's a no brainer

BUT -- does anyone have one - do you like it - do you use it?

------------------------------------------------------------------

Grizly slow speed wet grinder

http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-T1001...UTF8&coliid=I3C5F7PIDGKL99&colid=R8K6C5BK5JZQ

REALLY - I am most interested in being able to sharpen my jointer knives and my planer knives - not sure this is even going to do that for me - yes I could get the accessories - but??

I am quite OK with the scary sharp for plane blades and chisels. I am also skilled enough that I can use a bench grinder for lathe tools and other stuff.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Work Sharp grinder

http://www.amazon.com/Work-Sharp-WS...UTF8&coliid=I3UVSL3SFHXNHQ&colid=R8K6C5BK5JZQ

again - same comments as the Griz slow grinder

------------------------------------------------------------------

COMMENTS ?????

Leo

Just for my interest, why do you feel you need a drill bit sharpener? I only use my bits in wood and they last a long time. For what a DD costs, I can buy a lot of replacement bits. Seems like what you want is a friend who has a DD (or equivalent) and you pay him/her for the use of it when you need to sharpen:).

I probably don't replace 3 bits per year, and those are usually small bits that I break (leave the bit in the drill and then knock over the drill, breaking or bending the bit).

Mike

I like my Drill Doctor, since I've inherited oodles of old bits over the years, and it has allowed me to dress them up and use them. But Jim does have a point...I could have bought quite a few bits for the cost of the Drill Doctor.

Leo, for what it's worth, I've had my DD for 4+ years and haven't felt the need to replace the sharpening wheel in it yet.

Personally, I'd pass on the Grizzly wet grinder. From what I've read, it can be tweaked some and turned into a decent grinder, but you'll still want the Tormek jigs for sharpening (especially jointer knives). I think by the time you get everything you need, you could pay for quite a few commercial sharpenings.

I've got a Worksharp 3000, and I'm not sure I'd want to do jointer knives on it, either. I there a jig for them available, or would you be freehanding them?

DONE

I ordered the 750

I do drill more than wood

Yes they are inexpensive to replace -- uh, sometimes

I do have some solid carbide drills

Usually when you need a sharp drill to do a job - is when you find out you have a dull drill - no time to run to the store.

I also have a really nice set of Cobalt parabolic drills and a couple need to be resharped.

I also have drills over 1/2 diameter

--------------------------------------------------------------

Well I done Did It
Ordered:

Drill Doctor 750
Coarse replacement wheel 100 grit
regular replacement wheel

John Adams DVD
LIBERY! American Revolution DVD

Happy Birthday / Happy Fathers Day / Happy Anniversary? / Happy July 4-th

And I keep telling them -- DON'T spend any money on me