Apple Vases.

Paul Johnston

Hello all.
This is my first post for a while,over 12 months i think:eek:
Just thought seeing as how there are a few members from the UK posting on here i thought i would re-join and show my latest pieces,which are two Apple Vases showing some lovely colouring.
Large one is 13-1/2" tall by 6-1/2" wide.
The smaller one is 9" tall by 6-1/2" wide.
Hollowed out using the Lyle Jamieson hollowing rig which i have just recently acquired:) which i am finding to be a very good tool to use.
Hope you like em,and hope to be visiting and posting more often:)

applevasex2.jpg

Wow, those look great, Paul. Impressive size, too, especially the big one. Isn't captive hollowing wonderful? :D

Glad you stopped by Paul!

Those are really nice, and I'm impressed as I've always heard that Apple was very hard to work with, it wants to crack.... :dunno:

Thanks for the welcome back and comments folks,much appreciated:)
Glad you like these two pieces as they are only my real first attempts at hollowing this deep,and that is thanks to the Munro tool and the LJ rig which i find a lot easier on my back and arms to use.Just love the laser guide:)
The Apple has been stored for about two years in log form.
First twelve months stored outside just under a tarp,than brought into my dry storeage area.
Sorted them out last week and there was big splits in the ends which i just cut off on the bandsaw ready to use.
In fact the first log i put on was too badly split,so that was cut up into smaller blanks for other use.It is too nice to throw away.
I have read that Apple is best turned green and than very thinly which is what i did with my vey first Apple piece about eighteen months- two years ago.That piece did warp nicely but didn't split:)
Apple i think turns lovely,wet or dryish.
Managed to turn another one today which i will post later on:)