Lashing the Kayak video

Jeff Horton

Someone told me I was not posting enough. ;) So here is a little update on the boat development. As I have gone along I have learned that things just don't work the way they should. The stern needed a little attention. In this case I think I made a mistake on my measurements. Sometimes they just don't fit like the computer said it would.

I had assembled the Fan Tail and tested the fit to the boat. I knew there would be some adjustents to be worked out as I went so I was expecting it to not fit perfect. Matter of fact it will always need to be trimmed a little by the builder because of minor variations. I wanted to see if what I had designed looked like I wanted and if I had left enough or to much material for the builder to trim.

boat tail 001.jpg

Once the assembly was in place and more or less aligned I stretched a piece of t-shirt material over it to simulate the skin. This gives me a very good idea of how it will look when actually skinned.

boat tail 002.jpg

No big surprises at first. I saw a couple of areas that needed to be trimmed a little closer. There was a bit more stock than I really wanted to leave. Then I noticed that it sat a little low making some very uneven transitions. A bit of looking and double checking to make sure everything was in place and yes, we had an problem. :)rolleyes: Surprise, surprise!)

boat tail 008.jpg

It doesn't show in the photos so you will just have to trust me on this. I diddled around and raised the whole assembly upwards. Restretched the skin and could see what I needed to do. I had taken to much off the top of the bottom piece. With it in at the proper height I could measure my gap and see how much I needed to add back to my pattern. The lower part fit excellent, it was just not tall enough. Obviously I misfigured when I cut that.

boat tail 009.jpg

I scrounged around and found the piece I had cut off. Good, that will save me making another one. I mixed up a batch of 5 minute epoxy and just glued the scrap piece back on.

boat tail 010.jpg

Wrapped it in wax paper and applied a cheap clamp. ;) Came up to eat lunch and post this. When I get back to the shop it should be setup enough to trim and fit to the boat. After I get all that done and I am happy with the fit, I will make a new part and BE SURE to mark the old one as scrap so it doesn't get used again.

I hate to say it but there are several laying around in the scrap pile that for various reasons had to be remade. Since these are going to be sold I want them to be right and to look good. If it was my boat and you would never see the frames I would have used some of them as they were probably. Might have patched a small mistake and just used it. When your looking at it for someone else you tend to be more critical.

Last edited:
Ive been told I post too much, but I do enjoy reading your posts.
I really dig your clamp with the clumps of grass still on it.

Have you sold any kits?

Youre work with kayaks has always fascinated me.

Well I ran out in the yard to and found that clamp. :)

No sales, still developing the kit. I think I have 90% of the patterns made now and somewhere around 35% of the manual written. My goal is the fall/winter market. A lot to people, especially in the colder climates build over the winter months.

Jeff I have a canoe you can restore. Shipped out to Abercormby and Fitch in June 1928 all original.

Attachments

• IMGA0601.JPG
    IMGA0601.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 34
  • IMGA0606.JPG
    IMGA0606.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 30
  • IMGA0604.JPG
    IMGA0604.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 27
I know Jeff, I wish I had the time to work on it. Right now it's hanging in my shop just looking good LOL One day I may find the time or get that wild hair to grow that lights a fire under me to do it. But no time soon I know.

Attachments

• IMGA0291.JPG
    IMGA0291.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 21
Tried my hand again at a video and need some input.

To be be clear, this is going to be basically an info commercial for my web site.

I have been lashing the boat together for the last two days and working on the manual. It occurred to me that the manual will be on CD so a video would be a good thing. That lead to the idea of something for the web site to educate people about what is involved with lashing.

I am not totally happy with this. I want to redo the ending sequence but overall I am pretty well pleased. Took hours and shooting scenes over and over to get them right.

Just embedded it in my web site, so if you don't mind see how well it works for you and tell me what you think. BTW it's rather long.

http://www.kudzucraft.com/lashing.php

Great video Jeff. Nice and clear, very informative and most of all real. I like the fact that you let the video run when the twine would not co operate for the camera.:)

Oh and I noticed the thumb is healing but was not going to bring it up but since you did well...:thumb:

Background music was a nice touch as well.