new generator

Frank Fusco

I just finished assembling our new generator. It is a 10K (peak) Gentron I purchased from Sam's. Best deal I could find. With taxes, right about $900.00. Our little 3.5K will now be sold. It was a blessing during January's ice storm but with the tenner we will be able to operate our well and wifey won't gripe about not being able to flush the toilets.
This is considered a portable unit, but, unless it is stolen, once set up, it stays in one spot outside, well covered.

Attachments

• generator small.jpg
    generator small.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 56
Good Move, Frank. With the Ice storms, tornados, etc. that have frequented your part of the country in the last few years and all the power lines they have knocked out, I'm sure it will be a real asset for you.:thumb:

Do you just use extension cords to supply the house/well ?

Good question. Where it will set is just outside my shop (really, a one car garage under the hillside house). Our main electrical box is on the wall just inside the big door. When we moved here, I had an electrician install a safety cut-off switch to isolate from the main power supply. I'm not interested in frying a repair worker down the line. The switch/box he installed has two lines on it that I bring outside to the generator. For the new generator, I'll have to have an additional 220V line installed. And, because of where the generator will be setting, I may have to add about 4' of extension to the existing lines.

Looks great Frank, I hope you never have to use it! :D :thumb:

I'd set it up and then take them wheels off of it, to make it less "portable! ;)

We had our small unit for ten years before needing to use. But, we were mighty glad it was there. I guess one could liken it to insurance. You pay the money but hope you never have to use it.
As for the possibility of theft. Could happen but I believe unlikely. I may chain to a post as a (small) deterrent. It weighs almost 300 pounds and would take a mighty effort to get onto a pick up truck.

Fired up the new generator a few minutes ago. Will let run about an hour to charge the battery.
Only real downside I have found is that the oil filler is in a very difficult to reach location. Must use a long, automotive type, funnel to get oil in. Then it overflowed with the (reccomended) one liter of first time use oil provided.
Putting out full voltage.
I think I'm real pleased and will be in long run.

For my generator I made up 220 V double male plug extension cord. If I need it I'll simply plug it in to the 220 in my shop, Open the Main and the breakers to my heat pumps and feed the house that way.. Simple and easy to impliment.
:thumb:
Wed occaionaly loose power durning the monsoon season which is from now until some time in Sept.
Good purchase Frank

The electrician started work this a.m. He said I had gotten the wrong kind of plug for the 220. Went back to Lowe's returned the $23.00 'wrong' plug and started looking for the right one, a four pronger locking type. Couldn't find. Got help. Guy looked and looked. Checked the computer and it showed they were supposed to have many in stock. Finally, two people were searching the store for them without luck. It seems, after the ice storm when many-many new generators were sold and being installed these plugs were in big demand. Very likely, because they are so expensive the missing ones were simply stolen from the store.
I found one at an independent electrical supply, almost $40.00 :eek: for a plug. Unreal.

Frustrations.
A couple months ago I left the switch on after shutting the unit down by closing the fuel valve. After that, it wouldn't turn over. Figured I fried the battery. Had trouble getting a replacement. Today, finally got one. Expensive. Installed. Then the switch wouldn't turn. Removed it, brought in from the wind and cold. Lubed with WD-40, wiggled some and it works. Reinstalled. Now the unit will not turn over, won't do anything. :( Just like when I tried with the dead battery. Now, I'm thinking, the first battery might not have been dead. Have a call in to tech support. Dunno wat to think. :dunno: Worked perfect before.

Frustrations.
A couple months ago I left the switch on after shutting the unit down by closing the fuel valve. After that, it wouldn't turn over. Figured I fried the battery. Had trouble getting a replacement. Today, finally got one. Expensive. Installed. Then the switch wouldn't turn. Removed it, brought in from the wind and cold. Lubed with WD-40, wiggled some and it works. Reinstalled. Now the unit will not turn over, won't do anything. :( Just like when I tried with the dead battery. Now, I'm thinking, the first battery might not have been dead. Have a call in to tech support. Dunno wat to think. :dunno: Worked perfect before.

Frank
How do you know the switch works? Not trying to be a smarty pants but you imply that it now turns, that doesn't mean it works....Have you checked it out with an ohm meter or a battery and a bulb?

Your switch probably has two circuits, one for run and one for engaging the starter relay or solenoid.

On a note related to the weather I wanted to spend some of the winter in the TEX, Arkansas area as I retires last year. I am glad it didn't happen as I would have never convinced the wife to go back as cold as it has been down there this year..

Garry

Last edited:
Looks like an able unit Frank. Is that a Honda engine?

I second Stu's advice on taking the wheels off. Around here, towable woodsplitters are a favourite for thieves. They just quietly walk them away in the night.

Peter

Looks like an able unit Frank. Is that a Honda engine?

I second Stu's advice on taking the wheels off. Around here, towable woodsplitters are a favourite for thieves. They just quietly walk them away in the night.

Peter

Wheels off probably a very good idea. I have an old concrete mixer that could use them
The whole machine is made by Gentec. I'm told that Gentec makes generators that bear many brand labels. It is a good unit, some small thing is preventing it from turning over..