Finally Completed Dust Collector Install!

Gary Lange

I finally completed the installation of the Grizzly G0548Z 2hp Dust Collector. It was quit a chore. I ran all the ducts as you saw before and I now have the Twin Trashcan Cyclone Separator. Everything seems to be working like a charm and I am very happy with the outcome. Just need to wire for Static electricity.
Dust Collector next to Twin Trashcan Separator
NewDustCollector-1.jpg

New Dust Collector!
NewDustCollector-2.jpg

Inlet Ports with Blast gates for Router and Radial Arm Saw!
InletportswithselfcleanBlastgates-1.jpg

Twin Trash Can Separator!
TwinTrashcanCyclonSeparator-1.jpg

Your ducting looks good, but I think you will loose a lot of CFM with the trash can seperator :dunno:

When you upgrade to a cyclone, your well done duct work will really pay off :thumb: :D

Cheers!

Your ducting looks good, but I think you will loose a lot of CFM with the trash can seperator...

I doubt you're losing much, if any, air volume from the separator, but one small improvement might be made by turning your DC 90°. That way, you'll eliminate one of the 90° bends in the flex hose going from the separator to the DC. It'll give the air a straighter, smoother path.

Darren, It is just the standard Trashcan Separator that Phil Thien shows on his site. The only thing I did was cut the bottom out of the top can and then fabricate a holder to set on the bottom of the top can and hold into the bottom can. I used 6" Fittings in the top is the reason for the extra can to catch the dust in. Next time I break it down to empty it I will get you some pictures.

I doubt you're losing much, if any, air volume from the separator, but one small improvement might be made by turning your DC 90°. That way, you'll eliminate one of the 90° bends in the flex hose going from the separator to the DC. It'll give the air a straighter, smoother path.
The cabinet might be just in the way.

It has the baffle in it Jim. That's why I cut the bottom out and put another can under it. Gives me a little capacity.

I am thinking about moving the cabinet so I can shift the dust collector around and get a straight shot into the fan.

Simple Version of the Ol' steel garbage can

Neat idea of using the two trash cans. :thumb:

Here are some pics of the drop can I use - no baffles, just a curved 4 in. flex fitting on top and below to start the cyclonic motion. The unit works real well, shavings from the planer are layed down like the stompings in the crop circles.

The fines go off to the filter and main unit - back in the corner - through some old 5 inch furnace pipe that was stored for about 7 years before being put to use. The larger pipe size works wonders.

The cutouts were made in the top of the can using a drill, tin snips and a black marking pen. Oh, leather gloves too. I riveted the flaps and sealed with silicone. It ain't cute but very functional.

Attachments

• Drop Can A1A.JPG
    Drop Can A1A.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 46
  • Drop Can A2.JPG
    Drop Can A2.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 50
  • Dust System 5 in pipe A.JPG
    Dust System 5 in pipe A.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 46
  • Dust System collector A.jpg
    Dust System collector A.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 45

The dust collection system is not all that bad for noise by itself. Pretty reasonable, the further away the better to hear a radio. When I have it on though it's generally with another machine - either a table saw, planer, router, etc. That's where the noise comes in. Most of the time I've got hearing protection on with the louder machines, couldn't hear a radio anyway.

Sorry Folks- being a real newbie at this posting business - I had no intention of diverting or hijacking the original posting.

If he hadn't told me he went off topic I wouldn't have known. Seemed to fall right in with the discussion as far as I could tell. Welcome and keep posting as everyone has an idea that needs to be discussed.

What is the noise level in the shop with this running like? Can you hear a radio playing in the background or does it have to be blaring?

Jonathan, I don't listen to the radio while in the shop. I have a saw or something running and the collector and after spending a year as a River Patrol Boat Capt. in Vietnam I am lucky I can hear what I do hear.

I thought I'd commented on this earlier, but I guess not. :doh: The piping system looks great, Gary. I'm hoping my next shop will something more substantial than the 20' piece of flex tube I use right now.

Oh and Dan, here's how you hijack a topic... :D

Have you read anything about the Thien baffles for trash can separators like yours? For the cost of a piece of Masonite and some silicone, you can really reduce the amount of dust that makes it to your filter.

http://www.cgallery.com/jpthien/cy.htm

Phil has a small forum to discuss various ways to use the baffles, too.

http://www.cgallery.com/smf/index.php

Even though the baffle was originally intended for trash can separators, I built one into my Harbor Freight DC, and it drastically reduced the amount of fines that make it to the filter. Well worth the afternoon's worth of work.

So you see, you didn't hijack at all. Discussions just sometimes take a turn. ;)