Some lumpy flatwork

Finished this piece a couple weeks ago. Since I got about as much time cutting/trimming/gluing this piece as I do turning, I figured I'd sneak it in here. Started out as a honduran mahogany plank. I cut it 3 1/8" squares. Numbered them to get them back in order. glude common pine around the edges of each one to prevent chip-out, Then turned them; 40 of them. used a template to get the curves the same. Then carefully cut the pine away on the table saw and glued them back together. Sanded to even up the seams, and finished with several coats of wipe-on poly. Had a friend cut the matting (faux leather) she works at a frame shop, then mounted it. Oh yea, made the frame too. I got frusterated when the local city hall put out a call for artist to display in the citys' public spaces, but when I spoke to them, they said they would olny take stuff that hangs on the wall. Next time I will be ready for them.:D The size of the object is 13x22.

Attachments

• pattern1.jpg
    pattern1.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 88
  • pattern1-2.jpg
    pattern1-2.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 77
Man, talk about thinking outside the box! :thumb: That's very cool, Barry. I can see potential for a series of variations on the theme.

Great! For a lumpy flatwork it is fantastic.

However, I don't understand the statement "they said they would olny take stuff that hangs on the wall" this is hanging on the wall isn't it? So were was the problem?:huh::huh::dunno:

Tony, yes, it's intended to hang, but I hadn't made it at the time they requested the art.
Hey Vaughn, I guess we think alike, I'm already planning my next variation, I'm thinking I'll use triangles next time, just waiting for the right piece of wood to come along, heaven forbid, I might have to buy it:eek:;)