cutting boards

Dan Noren

Staff member
darn if i haven't been a busy monkey today! :thumb: after i finished all the stuff with the grandfather clock, i cut all the parts for the cutting boards from the hard maple i scored (see minor wood gloat) from a guy i work with. this will keep me out of mischief for a while.

Attachments

• hard maple offcuts.JPG
    hard maple offcuts.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 109
  • cutting the parts.JPG
    cutting the parts.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 101
  • cutting board parts cut.JPG
    cutting board parts cut.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 111
i have enough thick and thin boards to make 4 of the size i want, and 1 slightly smaller. i'm giving the rest of the thick boards (enough for a decent sized board) to my dad's nieghbor, who has always wanted to give it a try.

progress...

today i spent most of the afternoon cutting the parts to size, and after careful consideration, i divided up the parts from the one smaller board amongst the 4 larger ones, so that the dimensions of the boards are now roughly a little over 11"x14"x1 1/4" thick. i gave the extra cutoffs from the thinner boards, along with the extra items to my dad's nieghbor.

Attachments

• cutting boards.JPG
    cutting boards.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 65
started gluing up the cutting boards yesterday, and just clamped up the last one a little bit ago. just have to wait for the weather to clear up, then i can take the sander to them. :D

Attachments

• all four glued up.JPG
    all four glued up.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 60
Cool, they look like they're coming along nicely, Dan. Now the fun part comes next...sanding. :rolleyes: I glued up a quick cutting board a few days ago, and haven't gotten the motivation yet to go out and sand it.

sanding is no problem yu put it on the belt and wait for it to come out the other side:) and do ity again as many times as it takes then you once over lightly with the RO and yur dun:)

sanding is no problem yu put it on the belt and wait for it to come out the other side:) and do ity again as many times as it takes then you once over lightly with the RO and yur dun:)

Feel free to bring me a wide belt sander when you head out this way next year. :D I'm sure you can just strap it on top of the motorhome. :p

i figured that it would give me a good opportunity to break in my new jet drum sander. :D:thumb:

I think I may be starting to dislike you already. :rofl: Back when I was making quite a few cutting boards, I really wanted a drum sander, but didn't have the DC for it at the time. I'll bet you'll actually enjoy the sanding part of making these boards. ;)

i'm gonna try to enjoy it vaughn, i promised my dad's nieghbor that i would run his cutting board through first, and if it messed it up, i wouldn't run mine through :rofl::rofl: only thing left to do before sanding them is to haul my dc out of my dad's basement (my little shop area) up to the garage. the sander has a 4" outlet, and my dc happens to have a 4" hose.:D

you're right larry (can't beleive i said that:D), they are all end grain. they would start out nice in a planer, but i think they would get all higgldy-piggldy on the way out...:rolleyes:

With my planer I have to account for 3" of snipe at each end of the board, so it's great if I want to throw away 6" of wood. If I'm making several out of a single glue-up, it can be worth it, but for a single cutting board, it's not.

When I've planed end grain cutting boards I've glued sacrificial scrapwood strips on each end (face grain) to keep from blowing out the edge of the board. With some patterns, it's hard (or not practical) to make the last row wider, so I use scrap instead.

funny thing vaughn, these cutting boards are made from scraps...:D

I hear ya there -- the simple one I'm working on right now is from scraps, but at $8 to $12 per board foot, I'm pretty tightfisted with my hardwood scraps. :p When I need planer fodder, I use 2x4 pine.