Stairs and Rails, (Pics)

Richard Wolf

Building, installing, or renovating the stairs and rails in your house can be one of the most difficult jobs you will undertake. Not because the skills are difficult to learn or master, it's just something most people don't get to practice.
Here some pictures of a recently completed stair and railing job I did in Westhampton, NY.

Richard

Attachments

• DSCN2275.JPG
    DSCN2275.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCN2280.JPG
    DSCN2280.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCN2278.JPG
    DSCN2278.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCN2286.JPG
    DSCN2286.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCN2277.JPG
    DSCN2277.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCN2285.jpg
    DSCN2285.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCN2287.JPG
    DSCN2287.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCN2283.JPG
    DSCN2283.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 975.jpg
    975.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 976.jpg
    976.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 977.jpg
    977.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 978.jpg
    978.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 3
Wow Richard, that is outstanding!

What is the wood, Cherry?

Sure looks nice!

Great to see a mix of materials as well. The black parts of the balusters look like the usual twisted mild steel, the silver bit in the middle looks like it is cast, and the feet or what ever you call them, on both ends also look cast.

How are they attached?

LOVE to see the final pics, when it is all done!

Cheers!

The treads on the stairs are Jatoba to match the floor. I was able to talk the builder into mahogany for the rails and posts, much easier to work with and when stained dark red they match very well.
The wrought iron balusters have a brushed nickel basket. They are epoxied into the floor and rails. The steps and floor get the cast shoe to make things neat.
Thanks for looking.

Richard

Richard done stole one of my previous staircase jobs I did 4-5 years back:eek:

Looks very similiar.:confused:

Looks great Richard :D

Edit. Oops!!!!! Have a limit of 4 smilies:mad:
I just fixed that now Steve...there's no limit to the number of images you can include. This only applies to smilies and linked images (stored on another website). It doesn't affect the limit of 10 attached pictures, though.

Richard, that's another great job. It's great to see work by someone who knows what they're doing.

Richard and Steve beware!!!
Between the dizzying winding staircases and the smilies you guys post, please know that you are presenting this forum as fresh meat for the Law Suits!

Help me.
I’m falling,
I’m falling,
I’m falling thru a hole in the forum….

Frank Chaffee

Richard,
As always...Nice work. I have a real respect for stairbuilders. THose of us who have tried...know it takes special talent.

I love what you do on the end grain...is it really a "curved" angle...or my imagination? How do you do it?

Richard,
I love what you do on the end grain...is it really a "curved" angle...or my imagination? How do you do it?

It is a curved returned piece. It is easier than a metered return, once you have a set of templates. They are cut on a shaper. I don't always use them, some people are still traditionalist.

Thanks,
Richard

They finally let me in,

started feeling like a orphan who needed a dye job.

Anyway, Darn nice job there Richard.

Do you finish em? Or leave that for the painter types?

Per

Well Richard,
You just wait…

Pretty soon I’m going to build new basement stairs for my Mother’s house out of 2 x stock, and then it will be your turn to be green with envy!

Framing square, Mag 77, and my Senco hammer; no fancy Fes required.

As always Richard, I admire your work and thank you for sharing it with us.

Frank Chaffee

I have to build several sets of stairs over the next year. You can bet that I'll attempt to tap your brain Richard!! Beautiful work sir. :thumb: :)